• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walk with Jith (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
I have just got back from Sri Lanka and will get probably get round to writing a report sometime soon.

We travelled with Jith and saw 192 species in a fortnight. Jith is an excellent bird guide and well up on trees, butterflies, animals etc. Organised the whole trip. Highly recommended!

We are just about to go to Sri Lanka with Jith as our guide. 3 weeks of birdwatching and culture. Was reviewing some of our accommodation on trip adviser. The hotel in Kandy has one chap saying he would rather poke his eyes out than stay there. Oh dear!!
However, really looking forward to seeing a new country. We have been to India many times so will have seen many of the birds.

Hi, Jeanie with one n!

Please say hello to Jith and Mr. Silva from us. I am sure you will have a wonderful time and the hotel in Kandy was wonderful! Wish we could say the same about some we stayed at in Ghana ... just got back today!

Please let me know how your holiday went. Enjoy :)

Just had a quick look at your report. Will have a good look tomorrow. You did get a lot of rain. Did you get many leeches?

We only really got rain when up in the tea-growing area and it felt bitterly cold after the hot temperatures we had got used to! You only get leeches in the forests, mostly when you stray off the path. They are only small but they are persistant little beggars. My husband wore shorts and open sandals all the time we were there and managed ok. I wore shorts and had trainers on but they managed to get on my shoes, through the mesh and onto my feet once or twice! Amazing really. They are indestructible. If you pull them off and try to squash them, you can't! You can roll them up and squidge them about as much as you like - it doesn't have any effect. They are not keen on Deet though. We buy neet deet and dilute it ourselves - quite a strong concentration - and that helped in keeping them away. Jith has leech socks. It was our choice not to use them. I envy you going for 3 weeks - best holiday ever, our time with Jith and I am not just saying that to be nice.It really was!

Many thanks for your reply. Have now read your report and saw what you wrote about the leeches. We did birdwatch in Assam a few years ago and one of the areas was heaving with them.
Have packed deet, suntan lotion and a hot water bottle. Having been near frozen in Darjeeling and this year in the Himalayas, I know how cold some of the accommodation can be.
After Sri Lanka we are flying to Goa for 7 weeks which is always like going home.
Many thanks once again.

Have spent 8 weeks in Goa each winter since 2004 and have never been bored. We are both learning Hindi and have lessons 3 times a week. In that time I have also
volunteered at the animal rescue hospital. We go birdwatching with a guide at least once a week and by ourselves a few times a week. We also take the train and visit various places such as Hampi, Gokarna,sp., and Dandelli.We also go to the movies. There is a great cinema in Panaji and some very interesting historical walks there.
We never sit on the beach but since we rent a room or an apartment it is just like being at home with things to do but in the sun rather than in the cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back