• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback? (1 Viewer)

TweetBird

This is my first post, so please bear with me. Does anyone have experience with the Vortex Diamondback 8X32? In the store, they seemed much clearer than the 8X42, but the only review I read was pretty negative. I'm a very amateur birder seeking to improve. I live in Oregon, so low-light days are frequent. Other recommendations for lighter-weight bins in the under $200 range? Thanks so much.

Hi TweetBird.

Welcome to Bird Forum!

You are in the Zen-Ray Sub-Forum here and you should probably request a moderator to move your question about the Vortex's down to the "Vortex" Sub-Forum below or down to the "Binocular's" sub-forum where you will get all the advise you need or want.

I have the Diamondback 8 x 42. It is very good for it's price and there are many pleased users. There are 36 reviews of them (see the link below) and they average 5 stars so Vortex must be doing something right with them. They might be heavier than you like at 25 ounces but they will be very versatile as a "starter" binocular. If you like you can call Eagle Optics and ask them about their 30 day return policy.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-8x42-binocular

The Vortex 8 x 32 Diamondback is about 7 ounces lighter. It also has short eye relief if you wear glasses. I've never tried it. The 8 x 42 should be brighter than the 8 x 32 simply because it has larger exit pupils which will put more light into your pupils under darker conditions when your pupils are expanded.

It is hard to find good light weight binoculars in this price range. Leupold Yosemite 8 x 30 porro prisms have a good reputation and are lightweight and easy to use.

They come in Basic Black and Off White colors. See this link:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold/leupold-bx-1-yosemite-8x30-binocular-black-natural

Others will come by here soon with more possible selections for you.

Bob

Last edited:
Since you are in the Zen Ray forum the ZRS HD 8x42 is worth a mention. Priced at $200 and compact and light weight for a 42mm bin, and will be very bright with its dielectric coatings. Zen Ray is also based in Oregon so you should be able to find a dealer.

Other popular options at $200 and under would be the Sightron SII "Blue Sky" and Theron Wapiti LT, either 8x32 or 8x42. The Nikon Prostaff 7 is only $160 at Eagle Optics. It is physically larger but quite light for a 42mm bin also; it has a narrower field of view but quality optics. I would strongly encourage you to get into stores and try as many as you can so you can get a feel for what you like and don't like.

Or if you liked the Diamondback 8x32 just get them and start birding and don't waste your time here ;).

Last edited:
I have not looked thru a diamondback 8x32 but recently purchased 2 pairs of the 7x36 diamondback from Camera Land NY for family members. For $99 a pair marked down from $189 was well worth it. The reviews I have read were mixed but found no issues with these two. When seen thru my eyes I thought they were pretty good for a $99 Bino. Since I have handled 2 pairs of the bushnell 7x36 & owned one, I would say they are optically equal and way better built than the bushnell. The diamondback 7x36 are built like a tank & very user friendly. ...... gwen

I spent some time with the 7X36 and was also impressed.

I have not looked thru a diamondback 8x32 but recently purchased 2 pairs of the 7x36 diamondback from Camera Land NY for family members. For $99 a pair marked down from $189 was well worth it. The reviews I have read were mixed but found no issues with these two. When seen thru my eyes I thought they were pretty good for a $99 Bino. Since I have handled 2 pairs of the bushnell 7x36 & owned one, I would say they are optically equal and way better built than the bushnell. The diamondback 7x36 are built like a tank & very user friendly. ...... gwen

This is my first post, so please bear with me. Does anyone have experience with the Vortex Diamondback 8X32? In the store, they seemed much clearer than the 8X42, but the only review I read was pretty negative. I'm a very amateur birder seeking to improve. I live in Oregon, so low-light days are frequent. Other recommendations for lighter-weight bins in the under $200 range? Thanks so much.

I have the Vortex Diamondback 8x42s and have a short review of them here. They were my first pair of Over $200 binos and I still use them regularly. I think they are not as bright as some of the newer binoculars (like the Zen Rays).

I would also echo others in recommending the Zen-Rays/Atlas Optics. My wife owns a rebranded pair of ZR Vistas 8x42s called Altas Radian which impressed me so much that I went and bought the rebranded version of the ZR-EDs. And the Vista's are only $140 (Atlas Radians only $130)! They are lightweight, 23.0 ounces, very compact for 8x42s and have a great warranty, as all ZRs do.

Yeah they should pay me to pimp all their stuff (but they don't, I'm just bino-crazed)! ;)

I have the Vortex Diamondback 8x42s and have a short review of them here. They were my first pair of Over $200 binos and I still use them regularly. I think they are not as bright as some of the newer binoculars (like the Zen Rays).

I would also echo others in recommending the Zen-Rays/Atlas Optics. My wife owns a rebranded pair of ZR Vistas 8x42s called Altas Radian which impressed me so much that I went and bought the rebranded version of the ZR-EDs. And the Vista's are only $140 (Atlas Radians only $130)! They are lightweight, 23.0 ounces, very compact for 8x42s and have a great warranty, as all ZRs do.

Yeah they should pay me to pimp all their stuff (but they don't, I'm just bino-crazed)! ;)

Atlas is an Eagle Optics brand. Vortex and Eagle Optics are part of the same company. They probably come out of the same Chinese factory as Zen Ray, but Zen-Ray and Atlas (Eagle Optics) are two different companies. Just wanted to make sure it was clear to you and the thread starter. Both have a lifetime warranty.

Atlas is an Eagle Optics brand. Vortex and Eagle Optics are part of the same company. They probably come out of the same Chinese factory as Zen Ray, but Zen-Ray and Atlas (Eagle Optics) are two different companies. Just wanted to make sure it was clear to you and the thread starter. Both have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks TJK! I did not know that Vortex and Eagle Optics were connected. I do like the EO store but never made that connection.

I did figure it out about the ZR and AO brands though being related, the similarities are too many, but I did not know about the companies not actually being different. I thought it was just a simple rebranding.

Great feedback!

Vortex and Eagle Optics are definitely "related" companies (same family started both as far as I know), with Vortex being focused on optics directly and Eagle Optics as the storefront. If you compare models you will notice direct clones, e.g the Vortex Talon HD and the Eagle Optics Ranger HD, the Vortex Viper HD and the Eagle Optics Golden Eagle HD, etc. Typically the Vortex models have a dark green finish and the Eagle Optics models a black finish.

Atlas Optics is an Eagle Optics "house brand" that aims at a lower price point. The Atlas Optics Intrepid ED for example is another clone of the popular open bridge Chinese ED models that the Zen-Ray ED and others are based on. As noted above Zen-Ray is not "related" to these Vortex/EO brands, they are a fully distinct company, but it just happens that certain models appear to be sourced from the same Chinese factories.

And a small nitpick -- the Zen-Ray Vista and the Atlas Optics Radian aren't clones. The specs of the two and shape are quite different, the Vista is larger and heavier. If you look at the photos (attached below) the Vista is actually clearly of the same lineage as your Vortex Diamondback, although the D'back appears to have some modifications as it has a wider FOV, nicer eyecups, etc.

But, anyway, nitpicking aside, these are all great values. As you note the D'back primarily suffers from not having the fancier dielectric coatings of the higher level Vortex models, thus it's not super bright, but the optics, waranty and build are really impressive for the money.

Attachments

• vortex-diamondback-10x42.jpg
    vortex-diamondback-10x42.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 72
  • VISTA-A-400.jpg
    VISTA-A-400.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 77
Vortex and Eagle Optics are definitely "related" companies (same family started both as far as I know), with Vortex being focused on optics directly and Eagle Optics as the storefront. If you compare models you will notice direct clones, e.g the Vortex Talon HD and the Eagle Optics Ranger HD, the Vortex Viper HD and the Eagle Optics Golden Eagle HD, etc. Typically the Vortex models have a dark green finish and the Eagle Optics models a black finish.

I always suspected Vortex was making the Eagle line based on how similar they looked. But, I didn't know the same family started Eagle Optics store...it makes sense. I bought most of my bins and accessories from EO. They have very good service.

I always suspected Vortex was making the Eagle line based on how similar they looked. But, I didn't know the same family started Eagle Optics store...it makes sense. I bought most of my bins and accessories from EO. They have very good service.

For those who didn't see it Tantien posted a history of Vortex in the other section. I will start a thread in Vortex for it.

Last edited:
And a small nitpick -- the Zen-Ray Vista and the Atlas Optics Radian aren't clones. The specs of the two and shape are quite different, the Vista is larger and heavier. If you look at the photos (attached below) the Vista is actually clearly of the same lineage as your Vortex Diamondback, although the D'back appears to have some modifications as it has a wider FOV, nicer eyecups, etc.

Not a problem, always be free to correct my assumptions--I got those AO Radians some time ago, even before I became aware of the ZRs, so I did a quick search on ZR and the Vista's did look similar enough, and near the same price point, but not enough apparently.

For the record, the Diamondbacks are really nicely designed; very handsome and comfortable. It would be great to see Vortex carry the lineage forward to a Diamondback HD/ED model.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back