• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

View From... (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Well, seeing as my Garden List is steadfastly refusing to advance, I've decided to add my Viewed From the Garden List, for all those birds that choose to fly over, or swim around without paying me a visit.

So here goes...

Mallard
Coot
Mute Swan
Skylark
Carrion Crow

and today's addition

Lapwing

I have the same lists - In the garden and viewed from garden - there are 15 more species on the 2nd. I'm sure yours will soon increase - wait for swallow, swift etc

Robin

My garden list was almost a none starter until this year. It is still minute but I have added Siskin. Long tail Tit, Wren, Mistle & Song Thrush so far this year. If it hadn't have been for them my list would have stood at, Robin, Blue & Great Tit, Collared Dove and Pigeon.

So my garden list is as thus:

Great Tit
Blue Tit
Robin
Wren
Siskin
Long tailed Tit
Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush
Collared Dove
Pigeon.

Toal 10

Flying over or seen from garden:

Blackbird
Canada Geese
B.H Gull
L B B Gull
Grey Heron
Greenfinch
Sparrow
1 x Fieldfare
Starling
Pied Wagtail
Crow
Kestrel
1 x Sparrowhawk
Swallow
House Martin
Swift.

Total 16. So 26 in all.

The biggest shock of my garden was when Ros, close to midnight on 06/09/2002, came running in from the garden shouting "John John, come and listen to this". We didn't see them but there were two Tawny Owls by us. One in the trees near to our garden and one quite a bit further away. They were calling for over 15 minutes to each other before all went silent. Goodness knows what they were doing right in the middle of Birmingham but I haven't heard them since (or before).

Saw my first swallow of the year, sitting on the wire above the newborn lambs, Yesterday, in the same place I saw my first swallow last year, and then had to wait three weeks more for the local swallows to appear, is this an omen, early spring. blackthorn out now so expect some frosts soon, But not the winter frosts, just snaps of frost now, just enough to lose fruit setting, not to kill off the insects that now abound. I got bitten yesterday by a mosquito, darn things, but yes they are about too!!Nina.

Yea!!!! My Fly-by list :

Approx. 500 Canadian Geese this morning forming 2 Vs overhead,split up,One group going Northwest and one group going Northeast. We are a migratory path and they follow the two Rivers we live between.

Here are my yard fly overs in downtown Pueblo, Colorado.

Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
White-faced Ibis
Canada Goose
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginois Hawk
Golden Eagle
Ring-billed Gull
Franklin's Gull
Solitary Sandpiper
Long-billed Curlew
Barn Owl
Pinon Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Bank Swallow
N. Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow

Hi LuBird, Thanks for the update about the Canadian Geese heading this way! We had a report earlier in the week of some arriving in the South of the Province. Boy are they in for a surprise, snow everywhere. The deep freeze has finally broke and we've managed a day above the freezing mark.

My garden list is as follows:

Blue tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Long-Tailed tit
Nuthatch
Robin
Wren
Collared dove
Starling
Tree sparrow
Wood pigeon
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Lesser-sptted woodpecker (for just a second or two)
Blackbird
Bullfinch
Chaffinch
Redpoll
Goldfinch
Song thrush
Mistle thrush
Grey wagtail
Pied wagtail
Goldcrest
magpie

Flybys are numerous and include all of the above but also:
Grey heron
Green woodpecker
lesser-spotted woodpecker
Mallard
Sparrowhawk (briefly perched on tree at bottom of garden but behind the fence so doesn't quite count!)
Carrion Crow
Jay
Greenfinch

As I type this I just looked out the window to see what the squeaking about and I gorgeous Goldcrest was in my ceanothus tree about 3 feet from the window. It skipped about for a second before flying right past me to the bottom of the garden where it disappeared into the Ivy/honeysuckle on the fence.

ok back to flybys:

Treecreeper
dunnock
Kestrel

Last edited:
That's a nice Garden List, Wil - hope I get there eventually!

Anyway, I came back to add 2 Kestrels seen yesterday to my View From list.

So that's 7 species on the View From plus 8 on the Garden (including the LBJ)... 15 in total.

Hmmm... must try harder!

I don't have a garden, hence no garden list but my Mum and Dad's garden list in suburban Manchester looks similar to Wil's, minus the LS Woodpecker, Redpoll but plus Tawny Owl, Blackcap and Fieldfare.

My home window list in Iceland is (not strictly in taxonomic order)
Whooper Swan
Greylag Goose
Eider Duck
Mallard
Merlin
Gyrfalcon (incl. my first ever on Christmas Day 1999!)
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Black-headed Gull
Oystercatcher
Redshank
Whimbrel
Golden Plover
Meadow Pipit
White Wagtail
Wheatear
Redwing
Raven
Starling (about 2,000-3,000 last night)
Redpoll
Snow Bunting

Don't get me started on my toilet list (first ever Fieldfare!!)....

Edward

Your toilet list!?!?!? No. you're right... I shouldn't ask!!!

No... pray... do tell...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back