• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using Bird Recordings..a growing trend ? (1 Viewer)

Bk56

I notoiced the subject of using bird recording to tempt birds out has raised it head again.
Some Firecrest pictures suggest the bird is responding to such a device.
Is this becoming more widespread within the photographic fraternity to facillitate the 'money shot' ?
When,by and large ,most people can achieve very good results with DSLR's, Is there a temptation to overstep the mark to try and stand out amongst the crowd ?
Is the use of recordings ever justified ?
Is it tolerated at reserves ?

Last edited:
Which pictures are you referring to - can you post some links? - and how do you know that the birds pictured are responding to a recording?

I notoiced the subject of using bird recording to tempt birds out has raised it head again.
Some Firecrest pictures suggest the bird is responding to such a device.
Is this becoming more widespread within the photographic fraternity to facillitate the 'money shot' ?
When,by and large ,most people can achieve very good results with DSLR's, Is there a temptation to overstep the mark to try and stand out amongst the crowd ?
Is the use of recordings ever justified ?
Is it tolerated at reserves ?

With most people carrying mobile phones now and bird app downloads with calls on, it's easy for some photographers and some birders to use them to get a better picture or to see a bird more quickly. Some photographers snap branchers to wake up certain day roosting birds like Owls and Nightjars to get a better shot.
With people visiting birds with limited time i.e dinnerbreak from work it's very tempting to use bird recording methods.
The RSPB's view is don't use them, however at Middleton Lakes I have heard some use this method to track down lesser Spotted Woodpecker.
Tape luring is used by ringers to attract birds and also now by bird netters catching birds in Mediterannean areas to eat.
Bird recordings are also so used to estimate populations of secretive birds.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back