• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip Suggestions: Kind of a long shot (1 Viewer)

Hi
Me and my husband, are researching and planning our trip to Columbia, Ecuador & Peru next year.
We are birders and husband is a wildlife photographer.
we plan to spend 3-4 weeks in Columbia.
Please send me the reliable local tour guides/ operators.
Thanks
vani
Multicolor Birding is as you can hope for in Colombia

Hi
Me and my husband, are researching and planning our trip to Columbia, Ecuador & Peru next year.
We are birders and husband is a wildlife photographer.
we plan to spend 3-4 weeks in Columbia.
Please send me the reliable local tour guides/ operators.
Thanks
vani
Have used multicolor birding for organizing and guiding 5 trips in Colombia by now. can recommend them.

If you decide on Ecuador, my best suggestion would be to contact Jorge Luna based in Mindo. He charged me USD130 per day inclusive of his guiding and all 4x4 car costs, and we stayed mainly in low cost accommodation. PM me if you need his contact details.

I know this opens up to a wide variety of suggestions. But with the far traveled community here iam hoping for the final input for this.

I want to give my dad (65years old) a kind of "thank you" gift. We are often birding together and also have been on a couple of trips together. As my personal situation is cahnging and he has some problems with his knee and foot and of course is not getting younger it might be one of the last "adventurous" trip we might be doing together. And give him the chance to see some "Birds you really want to see in your life".

Lets handle these suggestions as if we wouldnt have any covid-19 at the moment, because we anyway cant foresee the situation when we are going to travel.

Some general points:

We are based in Germany.
Looking for 2-2.5 weeks trip length.
Dates are flexible.
Budget up to ~4k€ per person would be possible. Not set in stone if the possible trip is outstanding :D
Large list and endemics are good but really nice would be as well a good quality of observations

I love to do things independently (it would be a bonus) but i know in a lot of areas guides are needed. Self-Drive + local guides or a tailored tour by a local company would be fine as well if you have good recommendations. I have been driving in Mexico and South Africa and would call myself a rather confident driver (but without 4x4 experience).
We definetly dont want to go with the "big tour operators".

Europe can be excluded as well as North America + Mexico and Costa Rica. In Africa he has been Visiting SA+Namibia, Uganda and Gambia/Senegal

I speak English, Spanish and German.

I know this vague limitation opens up pandoras box but Iam open and grateful for any suggestion, because that is exactly my problem at the moment. The number of potential great trips is still too large to get my head around it to go deeper into planning.

Thank you.
Look at Lesvos and go in to "Lesvos Birders on FB. I have been 10 trips and am still getting new observations.
Best time last two weeks in April first two weeks in May.
Good luck

If you decide on Ecuador, my best suggestion would be to contact Jorge Luna based in Mindo. He charged me USD130 per day inclusive of his guiding and all 4x4 car costs, and we stayed mainly in low cost accommodation. PM me if you need his contact details.

You would think just running a 4x4 would cost 130 US/day in gas, maintenance and depreciation.

You don't give a time of year but Japan in winter will get some special birds.
If anyone does go to Japan I can make some suggestions depending on what you want to see, mostly assuming interest in historical or other sites that may or may not be on the usual lists of things to see/places to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back