• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This landed on my boat (1 Viewer)

Draco

We were miles offshore in Lake Michigan. He/she came in for a rest and then took advantage of some of the flies on board. My uncle gets credit for the shot (I would have got the whole bug).;)

Attachments

• mvc-014f.jpg
    mvc-014f.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 293
They must be the green eyes of envy! Tell your uncle it's still a nice shot.
It also goes to show just how strong fliers they are too.

Well, I have to give you that one Michael.

Thanks Steve!

When I sent some of the photos down to my father in Florida he decided to get me "The Book" (Dragonflies Through Binoculars). So, I know that it's an Emerald (could have guessed) but I can't figure out which one it is. Process of elimination on location leads me to think maybe a Williamson's, but I can't find anything that mentions the yellow spots on the abdomen.

Any other guesses?

Hey Mark,
What a cool, cool photo your Uncle took! Boy I'd love to see one of those. I believe you have an Illinois River Cruiser, Macromia illinoiensis (sounds absurd: ill-anoy-ensis). I make that call based on what we can see from the single view (no lateral thoracic view) and the geographic mapping in Dunkle's guide. Take a look and see if you agree. Macromia's are very highly sought and regarded by Odonatists from my limited exposure of a couple yrs. We have a great one Macromia magnifica out here, Oregon and I've yet to see it. Take care. Oh, it's on Plate 21; #6

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back