• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Bryn, on the banks of the River Usk (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Well, I spent a good few hours walking along the riverbank and hiding in my hide at the Bryn over the last few days. Spotted loads going on, but didn't get much of an opportunity to get any decent shots. I saw Green Woodpecker, Linnet, Sandpiper, Buzzard, Goldfinches by the dozen, Pied and Yellow Wagtails, Warblers, Sand Martins, Kingfisher, some other waders I don't recognise etc.

It is a lovely place, very peaceful and tranquil.

I did have a serious disappointment yesterday when I was sat on the river bank in my hide. I set up along the bank of the River Usk and managed to get right on the waters edge. The river at this point is freshwater, clean, shallow and to say the least... beautiful. I placed a convenient branch into the water about 5m from where I was in my hide - hoping that maybe something might perch on it. I waited for two hours and nothing... despite there being a plethora of Sand Martins, Wagtails (Pied and Yellow), Linnets, Buntings etc... nothing landed on it. So... I decided to move a little further down the river bank, about 50m or so where I had seen some other waders, the Green Woody and a few Buzzards.

I moved the hide... and would you believe it, after 10 mins of settling in I looked back to where I was initially set up, and lo & behold... the Kingfisher had decided to rest on the branch... grrr...

To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Here's the gallery with some of my shots...

http://www.reflectingme.com/p69784889

glad you had a good day. your yellow wags werent Grey wags by any chance? greys do have yellow on them. i think there are more grey than yellow there.

glad you had a good day. your yellow wags werent Grey wags by any chance? greys do have yellow on them. i think there are more grey than yellow there.
Hmmm... could very well be Luke, I am still very much a novice to all this ID'ing and may very well have made a wrong ID. Wouldn't suprise me at all.

i am going to go abck on my word and say that your wagtails might well have been yellows, i poped in today and didn't see any greys but did see a singlt yellow.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back