• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (5 Viewers)

Well done Mike! I noted several reports of the shrike..my next target bird!
I went to Flachsee and Still Ruess today with friends. My favourite place for Hobby, Great Reed Warbler, Purple Heron, Quail and Little Bittern.
The weather was great, even T shirt weather!
The birds turned up, some 60 Species including Great Reed and Common Reed Warblers, Cuckoos, Savi Warblers, Purple Heron, Black Winged Stilt, Spotted Redshank, Black Kites, Swifts, etc etc.
What a great day…get out there!

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9980.jpeg
    IMG_9980.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9983.jpeg
    IMG_9983.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9990.jpeg
    IMG_9990.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9989.jpeg
    IMG_9989.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9984.jpeg
    IMG_9984.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 2
As the weather was still good went site seeing to Schloss Hallwyl on the Hallwilersee.
Very attractive castle, interesting history and great little cafe!
The Castle is very close to an excellent Moos/ Swamp …the Seenger Moos.
Some 40 species seen or heard included Common Nightingale, Fieldfares, Garden Warblers, etc. I also picked up a penduline tit on my Merlin app.
The bird of the day for me was the Jackdaw. I find this bird fascinating and not that common in Switzerland.
Another great day out.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 4
I hadn't seen a Willow Warbler in Switzerland this year, and having a bit of spare time before going into work this morning, I figured I could spend some time around the Kaferberg looking for one. I used my bins and Merlin; and must have seen 50+ Chiffchaffs before seeing a bird that looked slightly different, especially more white at the breast.... It moved around a fair bit before singing: got a Wood Warbler according to Merlin (and features are consistent with that).

Definitely a new species for the year, but still no Willow Warbler :ROFLMAO:
----
Also got very nice views of a Cuckoo and a Little Grebe at the Katzensee/Bussisee this afternoon. Happy day :D

I hadn't seen a Willow Warbler in Switzerland this year, and having a bit of spare time before going into work this morning, I figured I could spend some time around the Kaferberg looking for one. I used my bins and Merlin; and must have seen 50+ Chiffchaffs before seeing a bird that looked slightly different, especially more white at the breast.... It moved around a fair bit before singing: got a Wood Warbler according to Merlin (and features are consistent with that).

Definitely a new species for the year, but still no Willow Warbler :ROFLMAO:
----
Also got very nice views of a Cuckoo and a Little Grebe at the Katzensee/Bussisee this afternoon. Happy day :D
It took me until yesterday to get good views of a Willow Warbler, they seem to have been in short supply this year. I agree that Merlin can sometimes produce "surprising" results and shouldn't be depended on as the only means by which a species is identified. Sometimes it doesn't manage to detect easy species that are loud and easily detected by the human ear, like Nightingale!

Cheers,
Mike

Sometimes it doesn't manage to detect easy species that are loud and easily detected by the human ear, like Nightingale!

Ah, that's another species I didn't get yet for my Swiss list this year.

I did get a surprising addition this morning though. A rather light coloured Wryneck on a somewhat freshly cut lawn on campus at ETH this morning. I tried to check on Ornitho.ch if there are more observations in the Zurich region, but Ornito.ch seems to be down atm.

Ah, that's another species I didn't get yet for my Swiss list this year.

I did get a surprising addition this morning though. A rather light coloured Wryneck on a somewhat freshly cut lawn on campus at ETH this morning. I tried to check on Ornitho.ch if there are more observations in the Zurich region, but Ornito.ch seems to be down atm.
Well there are literally hundreds of Nightingales singing loudly around Geneva at the moment, the problem is that they are so loud that it is tough detecting singing warblers that should be arriving! Quite a lot of Wryneck here but they have pretty well stopped singing, they are much easier to detect in early April.

What we don't get are migrating waders, there is some talk of creating a flooded field as in Yverdon but I have doubts that it will ever happen.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back