• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiss trip this summer (1 Viewer)

Windergate

I will be visiting Switzerland in the 2nd half of August and am beginning to plan an itinerary. I have the "Where to Watch Birds in Switzerland" book which I'm finding very helpful, but it's now 10 years old. Also these books can sometimes exaggerate what's possible - no substitute for local knowledge.

I will probably concentrate on the eastern half of the country (finishing up for a few days at the Voralberg Rhine Delta at the beginning of September) but I will be travelling in a camper van so there's plenty of flexibility to move around.

For mountain birds I'm thinking of visiting the Majola/Swiss National Park Area and maybe also the Lower Engadine. (dry/sunny!!). And Flims for Dotterel etc? In the east of Switzerland can Lammergeier be seen in areas other than the Swiss NP?

Would it be worth the extra distance to visit Ticino at this time of year - Bolles di Magadino for example?

What about some of the wetland such as Flachsee, Kaltbrunner Riet, Klingauer Stausee - it would be nice to find some crakes/rails.

Are there any raptor migration sites in the east?

Keen to see some good butterflies and dragonflies too.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Julian

Hi Julian,

Sorry not to respond earlier to your birdingpal mail;)

Lammergeier are increasingly seen in the upper and lower Engadin outside the Nationalpark. So if you stay some days in the region your chances should be good. If requested I could give you some weeks in advance the latest sightings of Lammergeier, they are well documented on www.ornitho.ch

Bolled di Magadino can be good at this time but usually isn't. I don't recommend a visit at this time of year. The only things you coud surely see are Italian Sparrows, Pallid Swifts and Eagle Owl.

Dotterels are usually present at this time of year on Cassonsgrat. This visit should only be done in good weather conditions (otherwise the birds aren't there and you don't see a thing anyway;))

Mid to end August is an excellent time for Crakes at Klingnauer Stausee. An evening visit should bring you Water Rail and Spotted Crake and possibly Little Crake. Klingnauer Stausee is the easiest site for these species, the occur at the other sites too but are harder to see.

For raptor migration it's a bit early. Good sites in the east are the Vorder Höhi (near Amden) but it's though to get there and as said it's a bit early.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to PM me (or mail me again).

Greetings from Switzerland (with the first Black Kites arriving now)

André

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back