• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svbony SV 202 8x32 comparison to Vortex Diamondback and other 8x32's (1 Viewer)

Colt3840

United States
I have been reading nothing but great stuff about the Svbony SV 202 10 x 42 but I was wondering has anyone done a direct comparison of the 8x32 to the Vortex Diamondback 8x32 or any other 8x32's

Thanks in advance

Not optically but I sent back a pair of SVBony 8x32 as the focus is quite stiff and the metal pattern on it quite tough on fingers. Optocally though it was v good at the price.

I just received SvBONY 8x32 and reckon it compares favourably to the to the other much lauded 8x32, Sightron and its clones, such as Fujifilm KF 8x32 W currently on eBay UK at £149, which is a good price for this model.

I have had several Sightrons and clones as well as Nikon 8x32 HGL. I don't have those for direct comparison but they were all properly collimated, as is the Sv. Years ago Vortex kindly corrected a second hand Fury f.o.c, and a replacement Diamondback was also not right. They had sent that quite recently to replace an Eagle Optics model purchased from USA. From experience, Vortex long term warranty is generous and very easy to use but a new Sv could just be returned free if bought from Amazon, and reckon it is currently a real bargain at £99.

SvBONY shares the Sightron's ease of use but appears and feels more substantial, and very well made of magnesium alloy vs. compound. Lens covers are conventional and more up to date, and even the pouch, strap, and box seem of decent quality. Sv is shorter and more compact, still light in weight but perhaps a tad heavier than Sightron.

Like Allen's, my example of Sv has quite firm focus action but it is smooth, without any play at all when that would be more obvious while stiff. I guess it will probably loosen up with use (a Nikon EDG started off just like this but soon improved). Agree the knurled wheel is quite sharp-feeling at this stage but find it easy enough and it's perhaps a little lower geared than Sightron.

( edited: ) Sv is not quite as sharp as Sightron but is probably brighter. The main thing is that central focus extends further than that of Sightron so that any drop off is not noticeable in use and the outer boundary is well defined. A nice clean view on the whole but plenty of pincushion is present away from the centre. ( edited: ) Using SV I cannot see the whole field with glasses and without specs the eyepieces only just extend far enough so I need to rest them inside the eye socket.

SV design is unfussy and armour is grippy but not tacky when the Sightron was a bit peculiar looking and armour also quite hard. It looks tidy inside but not sure if the insides of the barrels are bare or not. Sv feels more like an instrument than a toy and I guess it would be durable.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back