• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subandi Homestay (1 Viewer)

Petri

About one month ago, I contacted Mr. Pak Subandi of Subandi Homestay (Kerisik Tua), about organizing my visit at Kerinci Valley (Sumatra). He is well known as 'the man' for the area.

There was a brief reply, an ok and a promise that he would pick me up in Padang, but my subsequent emails have not been replied since. I wonder what has happened? I hope he is ok and the homestay is still in business?

Would somebody have local information on this issue? Or advice in regard to other homestay choices at Kerisik Tua, or transportation services in the valley, and between the valley and Padang?

Petri, try to find a contact number or email for Nick Brickle on the web, he may be able to help with both questions...
Andy

Thank you for your advice, Andy! The Subandi Homestay is there, but Mr. Subandi remains evasive, for unknown reasons. I guess I need to look for other service providers. Already know a lot more than in April, in regard to prices etc. Petri

Hi Petri!
We used his services last summer (2015) and were very satisfied. I strongly suggest you to call him directly by phone as he is slow to respond by email. (I do not recall him having easy access to Internet in Keresik Tua, which is a small village). He is also more keen to send text/SMS than emails. International calls to Indonesia are cheap nowadays, at least from Sweden, and I called him several times prior to our trip to discuss details.
Please check our report for more details: http://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/GRUNDSTEN_Sumatra_0708_2015.pdf

Regards // Jonas

Last edited:
Back from Sumatra

Well, I stayed two nights at his place in early July, but had already made my own arrangements in Padang and Sungai Penuh, e.g. car with a driver, only stopping at Keresik Tua on my way back to Padang. Normally, the drive KT - Padang takes 6+ hours.

In Padang, I would recommend the Ibis for accommodation. They have clean beds, which appear to be a rare treat in Sumatra.

The arrangement worked well, even though traveling in the area can hardly be called a pleasure, for a number of reasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back