• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Kitts Bullfinch (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Hi all

I recall a recent paper confirming this form as a species. It is apparently extinct but I wonder if anyone has really looked. It doesn't appear to have an Opus page - now to check Wikipedia and Google it up. Thoughts / links welcome.

Cheers, alan

During april this year a visited Nevis, an island close to St. Kitts. There I meet Jim Johnson a localbirder. He told me that he hade seen a strange bullfinch that could be a St. kitts on the other side of the island close to a hotel garden. I went up to the hotel and began to searchand I found one really strange bullfinch that according to me really could have been a St. Kitts bullfinch. After a couple of hours I found another male that was identical to the other. Birdlife international will hopefully visit the island to collect DNA.
If you are intrested to hear more about this please ask.
Cheers

// Martin

Martin,
I hope you had a good trip home, and sorry we went past each other in Dominica.

I would be interested in a further description of what you saw (in Nevis?). I have talked with people who have done a bit of birding in St. Kits, where the specific bullfinch was reported as lost ...

St. Kits Bullfinch, just as the Puerto Rican form, should have male = female? and both larger than the PR form.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back