• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Six contradictory claims in various sources!? (1 Viewer)

I simply have to return to this one …

kuhli

● as in (for example) White-browed Hawk Leucopternis kuhli BONAPARTE 1850 (here) as "Leucopternis Kuhli". Without dedication, however the commemoration itself is not questioned at all.

In today´s HBW Alive Key explained as: Reading the recent Paper The bird collection of the Muséum national d‘Histoire naturelle, Paris, France: the first years (1793-1825), 2015, here, (by "our" Birdforum member Justin Jansen! :t:) it is written, for the year 1823 (p.101:) "… amongst them birds collected by Heinrich Kuhl (1797-1821) …"

In my MS I (also, still) have him as "the fairly unknown German ornithologist and traveller Dr. Heinrich Kuhl (1797–1821)".

Wasn´t he born 17 September 1797 in the City of Hanau, Germany" (as stated in Posts; 2, 8, 9 and 16) ... ?

Which is correct? And which is not?

---

Question: Shouldn't be the BOW key enhanced by Puffinus kuhliana, Mathews, 1933 OD v.54=no.371-379 (1933-1934) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library syn. Puffinus elegans ?

As well is Totanus kuhlii Brehm, CL, 1855 a valid name OD jahrg. 5 (1855) - Naumannia - Biodiversity Heritage Library : But probably yes if I look at the footnote Der vollständige Vögelsang . And it looks like that name was introduced already Totanus kuhlii Brehm, CL, 1828 Bd.21 (1828) - Isis von Oken - Biodiversity Heritage Library
...; ich habe in Totanus Kuhlii genannt, um durch diese geringe Huldigung das Andenken eines Mannes zu ehren, welcher für die Naturwissenschaften lebte und starb.

Last edited:
Thanks Martin for kuhliana (see Peters Checklist, 1979, I (second ed.), p. 101). Totanus Kuhli Brehm, 1831 = Tringa glareola Linnaeus,1758; Procellaria kuhlii Boie, 1835 = Procellaria diomedea Scopoli, 1769 (now in Calonectris); Puffinus kuhliana Mathews, 1933 = Puffinus elegans Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back