• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seki Ski Resort (1 Viewer)

bedfontbirder

I read a trip report that mentioned 'Seki Ski Resort' which is in the Taurus mountains near to Seki. Gogubeli Pass is normally the place people head for up there, but this place seemed to have a different suite of species though it seems a very long and tortuous track from the village of Temel, which is reached from Seki via the roundabout with the apple statue. The resort itself is on the slopes of Eren Dagi northwest of Girdev Golu (lake).
Just wondered if anyone had any more info as I have found little else online. Looks a good area if anyone has visited there, but wondered what the track up to the ski resort was like.

Bedfontbirder, wondering if you ever got more info on this??

I am planning to do this in a few weeks, I have only ever done the track from the roundabout for about 3km so really not sure what the track is like further on but I guess I will find out very soon.

I think I went there in May 2012, after visiting nearby Gogubeli Pass..........these are cut and pasted words from that report (the middle paragraph is of relevance to your question)...........

"Off the D350 I turned left for SEKI as signposted (by a beautiful old stone river bridge) - the long approach road to the famous apple sculpture at Seki produced Lesser Grey Shrike, Calandra Lark feeding on a beetle, & the first of many Red-Backed Shrikes. The flooded fields here are worthy of fuller examination. At the sculpture (long 36.801579, long 29.644439) I turned right and after a hundred metres I stopped to watch an insipid, grey-brown warbler than occasionally swung its tail, that I thought could be an Upcher's Warbler (though far more likely Eastern Olly). I am not sure Upcher's occur this far west in Turkey?? The next mile produced superb birding at the famous White-Throated Robin site - 5 such birds being seen (4 males & a female), along with 3 male Black-Headed Buntings, Alpine Swift, several Rock Sparrows and Cretzschmar's Buntings, 2 Ortolan Buntings, & Eastern Orphean Warbler. It was hard to drag myself away. If walking around, just beware of beehives and of antagonising them, though shepherds with goats wandered happily. This White-Throated Robin area runs from the apple sculpture to this reference point (lat 36.792799, long 29.63122). The area inbetween is superb.

Less than a mile further along the above lane you come to the village of TEMEL. In the tiny square (Lat 36.782961, long 29.620342), where there is a shop and where local men gather during the day to drink coffee around tables, take the unsignposted left turn up the TEMEL PASS, to an used ski-lift point (it was not being used when I was there) 3 miles up the track (Lat 36.738987, long 29.5997). This driveable, stoney road terminates here but you can walk further if so desired. The track from the village initially goes past a small graveyard, turn sharp left immediately before a second graveyard and then it is straight on. The track then goes through arable land, then as it ascends through boulder and scrub filled hillside, and eventually to snowmelt areas with streams. Birding over an hour and a half here was pretty good, with Thrush Nightingale & several Nightingales being heard but not seen. Visual highlights were Masked Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, several Red-Backed Shrikes, Golden Eagle briefly, Kestrel, 2 Eastern Bonelli's Warblers, 4 Ravens, 2 Eastern Black-Eared Wheatears, and near the Ski lift 2 Shorelarks, Water Pipit, 2 Crag Martins, Rock & House Sparrows galore.

Back at the apple sculpture in Seki turn right and weave through the outskirts of the town on the same road following Elmali signs, until you come to the village of Zorlar. ZORLAR was my next port of call to check out, having read reports previously. Keep on the road through Zorlar until you see a track running to the right with red and white railings. I think the co-ordinates are Lat 36.807178, long 29.692014. There is a collapsed roof nearby, see photos at the end. This rough track is driveable quite easily in dry conditions, but it may get heavy under foot as you drive in wet conditions. Initially it does not look particularly promising, running past houses but a Rock Bunting and 2 Redstarts were still seen here. Soon the track opens into superb agricultural land and grassy plains. Within a mile of the access point I had small flocks of Red-Fronted Serins (at least 40 birds) by the ditches at the side of the track, as well as several Red-Backed Shrikes, Hoopoe, 5 Cretzschmar's Buntings, & Long-legged Buzzard. After a mile the track became muddier and with a raincloud encroaching I chickened out and turned back, but with the RF Serins in the bag I was happy indeed."

Attachments

• Temel ski lift area.JPG
    Temel ski lift area.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi
Just back home in my apartment near Fethiye after a trip upto the Seki Ski area of Temel.
Followed Wolfbirders perfectly described directions

The road is as described stoney but absolutely drivable. The ski centre is now a ruin.

Was with my non birding partner but was allowed a small walk beyond the ski centre and picked up the following.

Red Backed Shrike (plenty)
Lesser Grey Shrike
Northern Wheatear (plenty)
Black Eared Wheatear (a few)
Long legged Wheatear which I presumed to be Isabelline …
Blackbirds
Cuckoo calling
Woodlarks
House Martins
Pipit sp probablyTawny

Down at Seki 2 male White Throated Robins and a few a black headed Bunting were the stand out.

Picnic table just below the ski centre for a beer and sandwich
Perfect image.jpg

Last edited:
I went up to the ski resort when I was last in Turkey in 2014. Horned Larks and Chukar Partridge (in the rain) up near the abandoned ski lift and Orphean Warbler singing from a bush on the way up are among my memories.

Attachments

• Chukar-(3)-fbook.jpg
    Chukar-(3)-fbook.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back