• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scoter ID Needed Scotland. (1 Viewer)

Baldoon57

Scotland
Is the front bird a Velvet Scoter, birds were very distant in poor light, from Loch Ryan yesterday, any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Resize_20240403_102257_7737.jpg
    Resize_20240403_102257_7737.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 101
I think both birds are Common Scoters. The left hand bird certainly is and the right hand bird is a similar size. Velvet would look notably bigger as well as having a different shape. The right hand bird looks a bit weird. The bill looks like a male Common Scoter though. My guess is that it's a young male. They can have rather patchy looking plumage at this time of year.

I think both birds are Common Scoters. The left hand bird certainly is and the right hand bird is a similar size. Velvet would look notably bigger as well as having a different shape. The right hand bird looks a bit weird. The bill looks like a male Common Scoter though. My guess is that it's a young male. They can have rather patchy looking plumage at thwhiis time of year.
Thanks Andrew, at distance should I be looking for a white wing stripe instead of a
I think both birds are Common Scoters. The left hand bird certainly is and the right hand bird is a similar size. Velvet would look notably bigger as well as having a different shape. The right hand bird looks a bit weird. The bill looks like a male Common Scoter though. My guess is that it's a young male. They can have rather patchy looking plumage at this time of year.
Thanks Andrew, at distance should I be looking for a white Wing Stripe instead of the white mark on head

Thanks Andrew, at distance should I be looking for a white wing stripe instead of a

Thanks Andrew, at distance should I be looking for a white Wing Stripe instead of the white mark on head
The areas of white are absolutely helpful but I tend to notice Velvets on the water as much because of their different size and shape to Common Scoters. They are almost closer to Eiders in those respects, whereas Common Scoter is a medium-sized, compact duck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back