• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rycote windshield to fit Sennheiser me66 & K6 module. (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi I have just purchased a Sennheiser me66 & K6 shotgun setup, but at this moment in time have no wind protection device for it yet.
Although very expensive I have looked at the Rycote modular systems and was wondering what size would I need to get to fit the mic?

Also has anyone got any cheaper options that work well for them

Cheers

Last edited:
That is an awful lot of money for some wind protection. Without knowing what sort of bird recording you're looking to do, it's hard to say whether it would be worth it. However, if you're looking for something to help you record and document rare and interesting birds, I suspect that sort of money is overkill.

Hi Mark, price wise for a new set you are right, however one recently went for £75 on eBay.
I am hoping to pick something up at around that price to be fair, if not cheaper obviously.
I was just not sure what rycote system to get should one pop up on eBay.
Sorry I should have made that a little clearer.
I want it specifically for nocmig in the hope that my recordings are a little bit more clearer.
Whilst my present set up is okay I think the recording quality can still be improved, wind noise one such issue.
I would also use it for general field recordings rather than rarities.

Ha! OK, that makes more sense

Sounds like a good option for keeping wind noise down for Nocmig - does it offer any waterproofing? I've lost a mic to moisture rather than rain, so that's a consideration too, with a nice mic like you have.

Ha! OK, that makes more sense

Sounds like a good option for keeping wind noise down for Nocmig - does it offer any waterproofing? I've lost a mic to moisture rather than rain, so that's a consideration too, with a nice mic like you have.
Hi Mark,

I have looked into waterproofing, unfortunately this system is not totally waterproof, although I think it would take a light shower or two okay.
Although this is not too much of a problem for me anyway if I am doing nocmig, due to a decent roof overhang in the top floor flat I am in at the moment.

Getting back to the Rycote system, I have done further research and I think I need the 5 series to fit my recorder.

The mic came today, second hand from eBay, but very pleased with it so far. Just need to field test it soon.
However it has given me an extra problem in that this is a much longer and heavier beast than my previous one which I just used to attach to the handle of the window overnight with a females hair band! 😂

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back