• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI West Wales in early Aug (1 Viewer)

StevePreddy

I'm staying near Dolgellau for a week in early August. Obviously, I'll be visiting Borth for the shearwaters. Any suggestions for other places to go birding (or insecting, or botanising) anywhere in Ceredigion or Gwynedd would be much appreciated.

It's a bit further north but, if you want some botanising, try Cwm Idwal, north of Bethesda, at the top of the Nant Ffrancon (A5). Some of the easiest, and best alpine flora in Wales, and Chough. Snowden has some good spots but not as easy. Get off the railway at Clogwyn Station and south west are the cliffs of Clogwyn Coch.

Chris

RSPB Ynys-Hir and the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dyfi Osprey Project at the Cors Dyfi nature reserve... Both of these are just south of Machynlleth.

Thanks for the help so far. Any more botany or insect stuff would be particularly useful.

Also some specific bird questions, if anyone can help with these:
a) apart from Bird Rock, do I need to head north to Snowdonia or south to the Cardigan area for Chough or are there other sites on the mid Wales coast
b) are there still any Twite present in Wales or are they now just winter visitors
c) I gather Merionnydd has very good numbers of Hawfinch. I know it's a bad time of year, but any suggestions for seeing these?
d) any recommendations for wader or tern roosts
e) are the large numbers of shearwaters purely a Borth speciality, or do you get decent sized flocks elsewhere on the coast too?

And one last thing ... any recommendations for cetacean trips?

Thanks

Thanks for the help so far. Any more botany or insect stuff would be particularly useful.

Also some specific bird questions, if anyone can help with these:
a) apart from Bird Rock, do I need to head north to Snowdonia or south to the Cardigan area for Chough or are there other sites on the mid Wales coast
b) are there still any Twite present in Wales or are they now just winter visitors
c) I gather Merionnydd has very good numbers of Hawfinch. I know it's a bad time of year, but any suggestions for seeing these?
d) any recommendations for wader or tern roosts
e) are the large numbers of shearwaters purely a Borth speciality, or do you get decent sized flocks elsewhere on the coast too?

And one last thing ... any recommendations for cetacean trips?

Thanks

a - Chough can be seen anywhere from Cardigan to Aberystwyth, along the Wales coastal path. The area between Llangranog and New Quay is quite good, and also Mwnt, just north of Cardigan.

b - I'm not aware of breeding Twite in this part of the world, only a winter visitor to north Wales now I'm afraid.

c - I'm not 100% sure of the locations, but check the parks and churchyards in Dolgellau. Any area with tall trees is worth checking out, although I know they are in Dolgellau somewhere.

d - Waders this time of year aren't anything special at all, however you can check Ynys-las, just north of Borth. Terns, however, you need to go on to Anglesey. Just west of Cemaes is Cemlyn Bay - fantastic tern colony here, with Common, Arctic and Sandwich terns breeding here. There is also a good chance of Roseate tern here, however they no longer breed.

e - There is a breeding colony on Bardsey Island, and head out to sea to feed during the day. There is also colonies on the Pembrokshire Islands Skomer and Skokholm. Borth is one of the best places to see them, and I'm sure you can see them anywhere along the coast, however off Borth, this is where the largest congregation is seen.

For cetacean trips, see this website... http://www.cbmwc.org/boat-trips/

All the best,

Justin.

Twite still breed in Snowdonia and Nant Francon possibly best place to see them. If you do go up to Cwm Idwal they are about.
Keep your eye open for any colour ringed individuals.

Kelvin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back