• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request help with identification Sparrowhawk sp. in Sharm, Egypt, December 2023 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may I request advice.
I apologize for asking if it seems obvious, but against all odds, I am hoping for a Levant Sparrowhawk here. I have no experience with that species previously. I see the tail barring according to the field guide might suit Eurasian. However I can see what appears to besome dark wing tips that might indicate the Levant sort. However, the time of the year might not be right for this passage migrant.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• D3a-0474.JPG
    D3a-0474.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 58
  • D3a-0475.JPG
    D3a-0475.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 56
  • D3a-0476.JPG
    D3a-0476.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 47
  • D3a-0477.JPG
    D3a-0477.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 46
  • D3a-0478.JPG
    D3a-0478.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 48
  • D3a-0479.JPG
    D3a-0479.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 47
  • D3a-0480.JPG
    D3a-0480.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 49
  • D3a-0481.JPG
    D3a-0481.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 59
The best approach if you are hoping to convince the forum and yourself that you might have seen the more interesting of a pair of accipiter species is to post back-of-camera shots of blurry, distant originals.

Unfortunately your excellent shots leave no doubt that the bird in question is a Eurasian sparrowhawk

Cheers
James

The best approach if you are hoping to convince the forum and yourself that you might have seen the more interesting of a pair of accipiter species is to post back-of-camera shots of blurry, distant originals.

Unfortunately your excellent shots leave no doubt that the bird in question is a Eurasian sparrowhawk

Cheers
James
Thank you so much ! LOL

I think they also differ in the number of fingers visible:
6 (or maybe 5?) are visible in your pictures above

EDIT: based on the info below, I think there are 6 fingers (counting fingers may be problematic, at least for me)

I think they also differ in the number of fingers visible:
6 (or maybe 5?) are visible in your pictures above

EDIT: based on the info below, I think there are 6 fingers (counting fingers may be problematic, at least for me)
I will remember that point thank you. The article I read stated the LS has "more pointed wings" too.

Yes, I too, prefer more challenging images, much more satisfying than “in ye’r face ones”.

I suppose if you lack confidence, it’s best
to leave well alone, otherwise you might get taken to task with your ignorance exposed to all and sunder.

Cheers

James Lowther said:
to leave well alone, otherwise you might get taken to task with your ignorance exposed to all and sunder.

Good point to be honest. Thank you :

Yes, I too, prefer more challenging images, much more satisfying than “in ye’r face ones”.

Cheers
Happy new year Ken.
Putting aside the fact “all and sunder” is to idioms as “L.argenteus” is to scientific nomenclature I agree with the general principle of not exposing my ignorance by picking arguments where I am vastly outgunned by people with a better grasp of the topic at hand.
Cheers,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back