• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Remove currawongs (1 Viewer)

hate currowongs

Hi
Is there anyone out there who knows how to get rid of currawongs?
I used to have lots of Blue wrens and fairy wrens in my garden but the terrible currawongs have killed all the young and frightened the others away.
I now only have magpies ( which join me every time I dig the garden ) and the odd parrot visit my yard

These birds must be one of the main destroyers of small birds and should not be protected in metropolitan areas in Australia.

Besides destroying small birds they are very cunning and sly and make considerably mess on balconies and veranders.

I love most birds but despise these horrible currawongs and would love to see them all erradicated from built up areas they belong in the mountains.

Hi_
Is there anyone out there who knows how to get rid of currawongs?
I used to have lots of Blue wrens and fairy wrens in my garden but the terrible currawongs have killed all the young and frightened the others away.
I now only have magpies ( which join me every time I dig the garden ) and the odd parrot visit my yard

These birds must be one of the main destroyers of small birds and should not be protected in metropolitan areas in Australia.

Besides destroying small birds they are very cunning and sly and make considerably mess on balconies and veranders.

I love most birds but despise these horrible currawongs and would love to see them all erradicated from built up areas they belong in the mountains.
Are there any Ornitholigists on this group that can advise me on how to stop the Currawongs from killing all the small birds on my acreage property. I use to have fairy wrens, red brown finches and double barred finches, zebra doves and scarlet honey eaters. I've seeing Currawongs raid their nests for the hatchlings and eggs. Surely something is not right as I've noticed on many of my bird watching hikes , small bird species are disappearing and declining. From the research I've done; it's noted that the Currawong numbers are increasing exponentially caused by favourable human habitat. Any experts on this forum care to explain what can be done going forward or are we just doomed to lose our small bird populations where the Currawong numbers have increased? It's very sad , as all I see now are Currawongs, butcher birds and crows on the property. I agree with the original post, small bird species are slowly being wiped out and a lot has to do with the sharp increase in Currawong numbers. The Sydney Council at one stage introduced culling measures which helped but for whatever reason stopped
Thank you.

Hello, I know what you mean about the currawongs. I like them but there are so many, it's sad that I don't see small bird species anymore.

I don't know if there's a way to get rid of currawongs, but here is a link about making more suitable habitat for small birds: Habitat for Small Birds
In short, small birds need understory (bushes, grasses etc) for cover, while open spaces (which is many yards nowadays) favour larger birds.

I also found this website, which has non-lethal currawong repellent but since it uses loud sounds, it wouldn't be usable in suburban areas: Currawong Control (Strepera graculina) | Bird Gard Australia

Edit: Oops, didn't realize how old the thread was, I hope Wrens finds this info useful

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum ! I just had to have a google search of this bird and they look like they could be troublesome but they sure have a nice call.

It’s not just the small birds the currawongs prey on. I have a pair of nesting Masked Lapwings in my acreage, and 2 of their 4 eggs have hatched since yesterday, and the little ones are already scooting about, and foraging.
The plovers are chasing the predators away with diminishing patience and increasing frustration (sorry to anthropomorphise 😁), but as the remaining 2 eggs hatch, it’ll be interesting to see how the plovers will manage to keep their unruly brood safe.

Are there any Ornitholigists on this group that can advise me on how to stop the Currawongs from killing all the small birds on my acreage property. I use to have fairy wrens, red brown finches and double barred finches, zebra doves and scarlet honey eaters. I've seeing Currawongs raid their nests for the hatchlings and eggs. Surely something is not right as I've noticed on many of my bird watching hikes , small bird species are disappearing and declining. From the research I've done; it's noted that the Currawong numbers are increasing exponentially caused by favourable human habitat. Any experts on this forum care to explain what can be done going forward or are we just doomed to lose our small bird populations where the Currawong numbers have increased? It's very sad , as all I see now are Currawongs, butcher birds and crows on the property. I agree with the original post, small bird species are slowly being wiped out and a lot has to do with the sharp increase in Currawong numbers. The Sydney Council at one stage introduced culling measures which helped but for whatever reason stopped
Thank you.

I have noticed the same on our acreage property in the Gold Coast Hinterland. Currawong numbers are increasing exponentially in and around urban areas, and are directly impacting and reducing the small birds species like finches, robins, silvereyes, scarlet honey eaters, wrens, etc. because they are predators and more specifically nest predators, too many of them will tip the scales towards an ecosystem with no other native small birds. Hence why Birdlife Australia have stated that small birds across Australia are declining at a fast rate especially in and around urban areas.

The Butcher bird & Currawong; from what I have been reading, kill numerous small birds and their chicks, and they are known as nest predators. Unfortunately, many people also feed Butcher birds and Currawongs. It is important that we do not feed them otherwise their numbers will continue to increase exponentially.
I have noticed that my area in the Gold Coast Hinterland we no longer see finches, fairy wrens and many other small birds. I see many more Butcher birds and Currawongs as well as feral cats. I am fully aware that feral cats also play a role in killing many birds. Now that I have done some research into it, this explains why we are seeing a lot less smaller birds in many areas of the country.
Please have a look at the two links that are very interesting & educational; Birds Behaving Badly - Pied Currawong | BIRDS in BACKYARDS

https://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-sheets/conservation-the-environment/currawongs/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back