• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regatta (1 Viewer)

boger

Regatta outdoor clothing is among the best there is. Good quality clothing at a sensible price, quality materials go into making them. The problem is they do not have desighner labels that you pay through the nose for. Anybody buying outdoor clothes give them a lookover and you will not be disapointed.

boger said:
Regatta outdoor clothing is among the best there is. Good quality clothing at a sensible price, quality materials go into making them. The problem is they do not have desighner labels that you pay through the nose for. Anybody buying outdoor clothes give them a lookover and you will not be disapointed.

I have one of their down jackets which cost nothing and is very nice.

Couldn't agree more, i had a waterproof / windproof / breathable jacket for going on 3 years that i used in all weathers until i put a split in it with a pen.

And of course the other good thing about their gear (as well as doing what its supposed to) is you aren't scared of actually using it in the way it was intended because its cheap to replace.

Cracking good value

Last edited:
Have to agree,they're tremendous value for money.
I've numerous pairs of 'action trousers' in various colours (some lined),which last a lot longer than some supposedly better quality 'bags'.
I'm not sure if regatta now own the craghopper make,they're great wearing trousers too.
I've regatta jkt's too,as said before ,you're not afraid to use this gear as they're cheap to replace BUT the quality is good.
Compared to 'tex' type gear i've had before...i really wish i hadn't wasted the money on them.
It's taken a few years to realise that the expensive stuff might be worthwhile for pro's on Everest...but not really needed for my local hills and birding.
I don't compromise on my boots or optics though.

I couldn't agree more, Tom.

I've currently got five pairs of Regatta trousers, including two pairs of the lined ones (which are magic, incidentally!) and they've outlasted other, far more expensive "name" brands I've had.

And you make a point I've made before about the fact that for 99.9% of what the average birder does, £300 jackets just aren't necessary.

I really like my Berghaus Storm, but for my purposes it's no better than my cheap and cheerful stuff - but I'm terrified of tearing it on thorns or barbed wire...

Why I didn't return the gaiters to the shop? They were bought in a closing down sale and I'd thrown the reciept away! I'm heartened about the reports on trousers though!

Cheers

B

barry robson said:
Why I didn't return the gaiters to the shop? They were bought in a closing down sale and I'd thrown the reciept away! I'm heartened about the reports on trousers though!

Cheers

B

Barry try contacting regatta direct. I purchased matching his'n'her regatta jackets 12 yrs ago from the Ski center on Cairngorm and the zip broke on the her jacket a week after arriving home, 480 miles away! Unable to find the reciept i phoned regatta direct, sent the jacket back to them lo and behold a new jacket within a week and postage refunded ! Damn good customer service and the jackets are still seeing service, thou looking a bit worn by now, (wonder if i could send them back again ?)
:bounce: :bounce:

Hi Simon

bit difficult as gaiters still in everday use (!!!) up here on fells. The velcro closure strip still works so they stay closed up and frankly, I use them even in dry weather to stop trousers getting torn/mucky!

Cheers

B

I find Regatta trousers very good. Easy to wash if they get muddy and lots of pockets to lose things in!!! I bought my first couple of pairs from a local shop some years ago and then bought some more last year from a stall in a motorway service area about 20 miles south of Glasgow. Not sure if they are fakes or not but they were cheap and they seem to be wearing just like my others so I have no complaints.

Colin said:
I find Regatta trousers very good. Easy to wash if they get muddy and lots of pockets to lose things in!!! I bought my first couple of pairs from a local shop some years ago and then bought some more last year from a stall in a motorway service area about 20 miles south of Glasgow. Not sure if they are fakes or not but they were cheap and they seem to be wearing just like my others so I have no complaints.
Most of my Regatta gear comes from the same place, Colin. (Cairn Lodge, if anyone's interested)

Don't think there's any concern about fakes, just "outlet" prices.

nearly purchased a swanky regatta fleece jacket in the local QD garden centre this afternoon,only £14.99,really needed those wellies though!

matt

If anyone is in Yorkshire it may pay to go to the Freeport outlet village (or junction 32 as it's now known) There is a Regatta outlet shop, as well as a Crag Hoppers and a Lowe Alpine shop so you can compare them all. Some seriously good bargains can be found!

Darrell

I've had very mixed experiences with Regatta kit - some has been good (trousers), some have been okay but didn't last well (fleeces), some have been cheap but ineffective (waterproofs). I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand and it can be bought very cheaply if you shop around. Their new x-ert range is definitely a step forward in quality as well. Generally I find Craghoppers stuff slightly better designed (owned by Regatta) and although the rrp on Craghoppers kit is silly it can be found at little more than the Regatta stuff if you search around online. I'm not very brand loyal when it comes to outdoor kit and have a mix of Regatta, Lowe alpine, Craghoppers, Berghaus, Mountain Equipment, North Face, Patagonia etc. etc. with most of it bought in sales.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back