• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red or Black Kite (1 Viewer)

Hello Daniel,

presuming your bird is from Spain?

Do you have more pictures? I think, brightening your picture up might well help (I cant do this on my device actually).

Anyway, the long and prominent tail in relation to the rest of the bird (and more?) gives this bird a Red Kite vibe to me.

But I better wait for confirmation and more pictures. Thanks!

Could be either, mixture of artefacts with bird flying away from photographer giving the impression of either longer or shorter tail depending of posture

Attachments

• DSC_0622.JPG
    DSC_0622.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 17
Hi. The picture is from Gran Canaria. Searching in bibliography, neither Black nor Red kite lives on this or any other Canary Island.

The bird was flighting very tall so this is the best picture I have. With the binoculars it gave me vibes of Black (overall dark and bulky appearance), but with many doubts.

My initial impression was Black, relatively short tailed with minimal forkage main factor, dark coloration also seems okay and not too impacted by artefact. Knowing now it is on the canaries means black would be far more likely.

Hi. The picture is from Gran Canaria. Searching in bibliography, neither Black nor Red kite lives on this or any other Canary Island.
"Since 2008 the Black Kite (Milvus migrans, Milano negro) has been breeding in Gran Canaria, the Red Kite (Milvus milvus, Milano real o robapollos) is considered extinct for about 40 years" (Birds of prey - GOMERA VIVE)

So Black Kite seems much more possible (and is also my first feeling from the photograph)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back