• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question from Pennsylvania, USA (3 Viewers)

JCA

United States
Philadelphia, PA, USA
March 2024
On Birdfeeder Near House

Does anyone recognize this bird? It is the size and shape of a brown headed cowbird, which I have a lot of right now. But I’ve never seen this type of coloring.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_9551.jpeg
    IMG_9551.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 33
Red-winged blackbird. I'll go ahead and guess immature male while I go look up the subtle differences between females and immatures.

edit: I'll stay out on a limb with "immature male" just for the sake of seeing if anybody can correct me, but you should probably record it as age/sex unknown. It's a bit darker than most females, notably showing dark plumage in the cheek area where females should be buffy. Some of that could be camera settings (photo is a little underexposed), and it might just be a particularly dark female.

Last edited:
Red-winged blackbird. I'll go ahead and guess immature male while I go look up the subtle differences between females and immatures.

edit: I'll stay out on a limb with "immature male" just for the sake of seeing if anybody can correct me, but you should probably record it as age/sex unknown. It's a bit darker than most females, notably showing dark plumage in the cheek area where females should be buffy. Some of that could be camera settings (photo is a little underexposed), and it might just be a particularly dark female.
Wow, that’s awesome! I never ever would have gone there. I have red winged blackbirds, but I’ve only ever noticed the traditionally colored ones. Thanks!

I agree with an immature male (1st summer) Red-winged Blackbird. Just so happens that the illustration of an immature male in my Sibley Guide to Birds of Eastern North America matches your bird exactly in every way (lol...did Sibley use your picture!!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back