• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quail at Orwell (1 Viewer)

Northern123

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying to see the Quail at Orwell this weekend and I wonder if anyone had any tips on actually seeing the birds. Is there a particular area where the birds have been showing? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ian

Yes, after you park at Meadowcroft Way follow the Public footpath sign along the concrete track and out along the field edge. After a few hundred yards, on your right there is a bare area with weeds, and the Quail shows (if at all) in there. Yesterday evening we only had one in the wheat crop beyond the open area (turn right over wooden bridge just past open area) which wouldn't show.

If you go, remember to circle widely round Duxford whose Flying Legends Airshow will cause congestion and road closures locally.

John

Hi John,

Thank you so much for the detailed info - that's really useful. Also thanks for the tip-off about Duxford. My Dad and I are both also airplane fans and I remember having holidays to that part of the world combining birdwatching with airshows at Duxford and Lakenheath/Mildenhall as a kid.

Depending on how I fare with the Quail I was considering driving over to Leiston to see the bee-eaters if there is time but AA Route Planner takes you nowhere near Duxford thankully.

Ian

Today the bird was showing on and off in the bare area and along the edges of crop fields.

There have been issues with idiots lining up to walk through areas to push the bird out.

1. This will not produce good views.

2. It is likely to make the bird change its habits, to the detriment of other birders and the bird.

3. It is not necessary: be patient and you will get views likely to blow your socks off.

Be good. Or stay away.

John

Hi John,

That sort of behaviour is terrible.

I went on Friday in the end and saw the bird in flight but not on the deck. It called really close to the path and then suddenly irrupted from the weedy area and flew over the path and dropped into the barley field. But I'm happy with that. I've never seen one before and to be honest thought it unlikely I ever would so I am over the moon. I probably should have hung around for longer to see if I would get better views but I stayed another hour or so and it didn't even call.

I drove over to Leiston and waited for the bee-eaters for 3 and half hours in the evening but they never came into roost and have never been seen again. But you win some you lose some and the quail was the main target bird that day.

Thanks again for the information.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back