• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Siberian Stonechat South Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

tony.saw

Last month, a possible Siberian Stonechat was reported on Totley Moor, near Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Is it possible to tell if any of the enclosed is a Siberian Stonechat. The first 2 are the same bird,1675 Stonechat 1.jpg1705 Stonechat 1.jpg1721 Stonechat 2.jpg1749Stonechat 2.jpgthe second 2 could be a different bird as it popped down behind a fence and Common Stonechats are in the area

I think Maurus can be safely excluded here on the basis of the warm colured rump, whilst I think I'm correct in saying that stejnegeri wouldn't show such dark centres to the rump feathers - a flight shot showing the auxiliaries would be useful, but I'd be interested to hear why this isn't a standard rubicola.

I think all photos are of the same individual - the thick band on the outer edge of the bottom-most tertial and pale mark on the rear of the supercilium above the ear coverts look to be present in all shots.

Just to add a little something: warm colored rumps aren't unusual for Siberian taxa during non-breeding, but they should be completely unmarked (except for Stejneger's, which is split now anyway)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back