• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picus hueberi C. L. Brehm, 1843 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Picus hueberi C. L. Brehm, 1843 OD here
Ich nenne diesen Vogel zu Ehren meines Freundes, des Oberlandgerichts-Expeditors v. Hueber in Klagenfurt, welcher ihn zuerst in Kärnthen beobachtet und erlegt und sich um die Ornithologie seines Vaterlandes große Verdienste erworben hat.

The Key to Scientific Names
Leopold von Hueber (fl. 1830) Austrian naturalist, botanist, collector (syn. Dendrocopos leucotos).

If zobodat is correct Leopold von Hueber (1794-1878). In Zur geschichlichen Entwicklung der Ornithologie Kärntens we can find a picture of him. No idea about the exact birth and death date and place (?Klagenfurt?). As he was Landesbauamtsvorstand in Klagenfurt, pensionirter landschaftlicher Bauamtsvorstand or Landesbauamts-Vorsteler I would see him more as amateur ornithologist as his main job was something like an officer of the building authority.

P. S. If Leopold was a Oberlandgerichts-Expeditor as mentioned in OD is unknown to me (but I doubt). Other person? There was a Josef von Hueber , t . t . Oberlandesgerichtsrath ju Klagenfurt. This seems to be his father (see Zur geschichtlichen.... p. 37):

Hueber wurde am 16. November 1794 in Klagenfurt als Sohn des Josef von Hueber, k. k. Sekretär, Expeditor und Taxator (Beamter bei der Landesstelle) und seiner Ehefrau Magdalena, geb. Tofan, geboren und in St. Egid getauft (KLA, Kopien der Pfarrmatriken von St. Egid, Sch. 5, Nr. 13/1: Geburtenbuch Nr. 2, fol. 117).

So it looks to me more that the dedication is for his father. But feel free to refute my theory.

Last edited:
A Leopold Von Hueber died in 1861 (attached) in Salzburg. The marriage record of "our guy" mentions Expeditor but not sure of the context.

Attachments

• 47384_b325594-00225.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 47383_b325100-00055.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
According Zur geschichlichen Entwicklung der Ornithologie Kärntens

Aus gesundheitlichen Gründen übersiedelte er im Mai 1872 nach Görz, wo er am 31. August 1878 verstarb.

Are we are talking about two different people?

So there are still publications of a Verzeichniss der in den Alpenanlagen des botanischen Gartens im Jahre 1870 zur Blüte gekommenen alpinen und subalpinen Pflanzen or Zur Naturgeschichte der Unionen from 1869 from a Leopold von Hueber. As well his name is mentioned in here.

Last edited:
As this account of his biography is comparatively contemporaneous there is no reason to doubt that "our man" died in Görz in 1878 (although I can't find a death record digitized) I just included this record for completeness to show there was probably more than one von Hueber family. The OD is definitive that the honoree is High Court Judge and based on his marriage certificate (dated 1830) the Leopold born 1794 was a judge so I expect by the time of the OD (1843) he could well have been a High Court Judge. All this precludes any reason to think the father was involved.

Last edited:
The OD is definitive that the honoree is High Court Judge and based on his marriage certificate (dated 1830) the Leopold born 1794 was a judge so I expect by the time of the OD (1843) he could well have been a High Court Judge. All this precludes any reason to think the father was involved.

There's a few things I can't read in the marriage certificate, but it starts more or less like this:

Herr Leopold v. Hueber des Hl. Jos. v. Hueber Stadt- und Landrechtlicher Sekretär Expedits-Direktors u. Haupttaxators in Klagenfurt, und der Magdalena Dofan deß Gattin, beyder sel. ehl. Sohn, u. [...]​
In this text, I would read the "Stadt- und Landrechtlicher Sekretär Expedits-Direktors u. Haupttaxators in Klagenfurt" as being "Jos. v. Hueber" -- who had "Herr Leopold v. Hueber", the groom, as his "ehl. Sohn" (legitimate son). The father, thus.

I don't think this record tells us anything about Leopold's occupation.

Last edited:
I don't have much to add regarding the dedicatee behind the invalid Hueber's (White-backed) Woodpecker Picus hueberi BREHM 1843, a k a "Huebers weißrückiger Specht", but this is what I have in my notes* (from February 2020, found along the way, while looking for others):

Leopold von Hueber seems to have been still alive in 1850, here, (p.21), as well as in 1859 (here, alt. here).

To me (not knowing German) it does look like he passed in 1878 (31st of August), see here ... or?

That is, of course, if it's him, and if he's "our guy"? But I would think so. Those German Fraktur fonts/letters sure isn't easy to read. :unsure:

Either way, contrary to Martin (in post #1), and/or Paul (in post #6), I couldn't find anything regarding his Birth.

Thus, take the above for whatever it's worth, as some pieces in this puzzle, hopefully of some help/use?

🧩

Good luck pinpointing him!

/B

*He's not included in my MS, thereby I haven't checked this eponym any deeper than this.

Last edited:
To me (not knowing German) it does look like he passed in 1878 (31st of August), see here ... or?

That is, of course, if it´s him? But I would think so. Those German Fraktur fonts/letters isn't easy to read. :unsure:

It's clear from this text that there were two Leopold von Hueber, who have probably been conflated.

(Josef v. Hueber †.) Binnen wenigen nach dem Tode Leopold's v. Hueber (gestorben am 31. August d. J.) folgte auch der zweite dieses edlen Paares dem heißgeliebten Bruder in das Jenseits nach. Josef v. Hueber, gleich seinem Bruder Leopold in Klagenfurt geboren, war det älteste Sohn des Einreichungs - Protokolls - Directors beim k. k. innerösterr. - küstenl. Appellationsgerichte, Leopold von Hueber. Nach vollendeten juridischen Studien trat er im Jahre 1838 als Auscultant k. k. Stadt und Landrechte in Klagenfurt in den Staatsdienst. [...] Er starb, nach längerem schmerzlichem Leiden, am 13 November d. J. In Kinderloser, aber glücklicher Ehe, war er Mathilde, gebornen Freiin von Herbert verbunden. Ehre seinem Andenken !

Thus, one Leopold von Hueber, who was "Einreichungs - Protokolls - Directors beim k. k. innerösterr. - küstenl. Appellationsgerichte", had two sons, both born in Klagenfurt, the elder one named Josef von Hueber, the second one named Leopold von Hueber, like his father. Leopold junior died on 31 Aug 1878; his brother Josef died a few months later, on 13 Nov 1878.

Leopold senior, OTOH, seems compatible with the Leopold von Hueber who died in Salzburg, on 26 Jun 1861, aged 67 (on the death record: "k. k. jub. Landrechts-Protokoll Director"; "geb. in Klagenfurt, Kärnthen"; "Alter 67 Jahre"); the age of the latter (67 in 1861) also makes him compatible with the Leopold von Hueber born in Klagenfurt in 1794, and the one who got married in 1830 (on the marriage record: "Lebensjahr 36J." in 1830).

There is one word in the second part of the text describing the groom, in the 1830 marriage record, that I still cannot read, but which I think says that he was the surviving [something] of one Katharina Gunzinger, and to me suggests he was a remarrying widower. This Katharina Gunzinger will presumably have been the mother of the two sons.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So you think it is Leopold von Hueber Snr. (1794-1861) for whom Brehm named the bird for?

I'm not 100% clear how to exclude the grandfather (Josef senior, Leopold von Hueber senior's father) safely from the equation...

Besides this:
  • Leopold junior is clearly the author of the later works you linked in post #3 above. Earlier works signed "Leopold von Hueber" (Die Vögel Kärntens, 1859) could in principle have been written by him or by his father. But Leopold junior seems to have been an engineer in a family of jurists : I assume that any reference to a position related to law or courts (incl. that which is found in Brehm's dedication) will not be a good match for him.
  • In the 1850s, one "Leopold von Hueber", described as a " k. k. jubilirter Stadt- und Landrechts-Beamter", was listed as a "Mitwirkende Mitglieder [...] fur die Ornithologie" in the Jahres-Bericht des vaterländischen Museums Carolino-Augusteum in Salzburg. The description and location both suggest senior, so this may be evidence that he was also into ornithology. This (a "jubilirten k. k. Landrechtlichen Expedits- und Protokolls-Direktor Leopold von Hueber" donating bird specimens in 1856) may relate to senior as well.
  • The type specimen of Picus hueberi Brehm 1843 was apparently collected in 1830 (fide Hartert 1918). I'd expect the sons to be born in the second half of the 1810s, so this may also have been a bit early for them.
So Leopold von Hueber Snr. (1794-1861) seems the most plausible answer to me.

According here
1. Mathilde (Herbert), geb. 9 Dezember 1821, verm. 14 November 1857 mit Josef von Hueber († im November 1878), k.k. Oberlandesgerichtsrat zu Klagenfurt.

I still would consider Josef von Hueber (-1878). I assume he published Übersichtliche Darstellung der bis zum Jahre 1848 in Kärnten bestandenen Unterthansverhältnisse.

Do we agree that this is the brother (who died on 13 Nov 1878), not the grandfather ?
(If the grandfather, he would have married a 26 yo girl in 1857, while being himself almost certainly over 80 (e.g., 83 if he had been 20 when his son was born in 1794), and he would almost certainly have been over 100 when he died.)
But the brother was awarded the title of Oberlandesgerichts-Rath at his retirement in 1868 according to his obit. Thus he didn't have it yet in 1843, and Brehm could not have used it to refer to him in the OD.
(That being said, it appears, admittedly, that the Josef junior was also involved in the Landesmuseum von Kärtnen (see the short obit for both here), although he was seems to have been much less into it than his brother, Leopold junior.)

Do we agree that this is the brother (who died on 13 Nov 1878), not the grandfather ?
At least from my side no doubt. But as you wrote:
Jahre 1838 als Auscultant k. k. Stadt und Landrechte in Klagenfurt in den Staatsdienst

But I must admit I do not know how far apart the Expeditor from an Auscultant is (nor what kind of jobs they are).

Last edited:
This book on the region's birds has over 70 references to Leopold or L. v. Hueber.

Not a single reference to a J von Hueber anywhere with regards to birds.

Whichever (father or son) sold his collection to Rothschild in 1859 only two years before seniors death. I still think that evidence supports Leopold Edmond von Hueber (1794-1861).

Whichever (father or son) sold his collection to Rothschild in 1859 only two years before seniors death. I still think that evidence supports Leopold Edmond von Hueber (1794-1861).

James appears to agree (and I certainly do as well), as he updated the entry of the Key to:
hueberi
Leopold Edmund von Hueber (1794-1861) Austrian jurist, naturalist, botanist, collector (syn. Dendrocopos leucotos).

(I think the botanist was his son, though -- I'm not sure this would apply to him as well.)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back