• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pel's Fishing Owl Gambia (1 Viewer)

finfoot

Hi all,
To anyone who has information on Pel's Fishing Owl in the Gambia. I'm Stumped. As far as I'm aware, Brumen Bridge is the only place noted for this species, but as far as I know hasn't been recorded there in recent years. I'm a little annoyed at missing this bird in SA(pafuri) due to lack of time to look for it. I know I'm probably throwing this question into the wind but you never know!

Saw two at Tendaba (in 1998?) while on one of the boat trips, one sat in a tree at a considerable distance (scope needed) and one flew across one of the creeks just in front of the boat. I nearly missed the latter as I was busy photographing a Goliath Heron at the time!

Did get the distinct impression talking to the locals that they are/were pretty rare in the area and to see two we were extremely lucky.

Nick

finfoot said:
Hi all,
To anyone who has information on Pel's Fishing Owl in the Gambia. I'm Stumped. As far as I'm aware, Brumen Bridge is the only place noted for this species, but as far as I know hasn't been recorded there in recent years. I'm a little annoyed at missing this bird in SA(pafuri) due to lack of time to look for it. I know I'm probably throwing this question into the wind but you never know!

When I was last in The Gambia there was a nesting pair in the mangroves opposite Tendaba camp, along with White-backed Night Heron by the way. Unfortunately we could not get across the river due to the tides being wrong during our short visit to the camp. This was about five years ago, but I am sure I have seen mention of them since then.

Steve

Thanks for the info. I really wasn't expecting anyone to reply. Also the only place I have seen wood owl recorded is Makasutu (I think I'm too late for marsh owl). I'm not specifically looking for owls but info is scarce on these two species.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back