• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrot by description only, Grenada, so an escape (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I am currently in Grenada, where I today saw a short-tailed, green parrot (only seen in flight for a short time), which had a reddish speculum visible on the upperside of the wing, and which seemed to have dark (perhaps bluish) flight feathers. Wing beats were deep reminding me of Pionus sp parrots, and the sound was different from anything I have heard from Orange-winged Amazon (parrot), the only parrot species on the Ebird list for the island (Orange-winged are daily where I live, even though they have a past in captivity also). This bird was definitely an escape, but I would still like to see if anyone have a proposal for what it could be.
Niels

Suspect lots of possibilities. E.g. white-fronted Amazon has red/blue as you describe. It has red in the tail (both surfaces) but I don't know how visible this would be. Ditto yellow-lored parrot. Red-lored parrot has red and blue in the wing, etc etc (Forshaw's parrots of the world is good because it tends to show both surfaces in flight)

Suspect lots of possibilities. E.g. white-fronted Amazon has red/blue as you describe. It has red in the tail (both surfaces) but I don't know how visible this would be. Ditto yellow-lored parrot. Red-lored parrot has red and blue in the wing, etc etc (Forshaw's parrots of the world is good because it tends to show both surfaces in flight)
Thanks, but most (all?) Amazona do not use the wings like this one did, with wings going deep down on the downstroke like a Pionus, and most Pionus do not have any reddish speculum on the wing. That was why I thought it might be worth a question if anyone knew that combination.
thanks
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back