• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

owls (1 Viewer)

Sitting at Ivalo airport as I type after a week of great birding from Tampere to Varanger. We had Great Grey at nest with chicks, Ural with 3 fledged chicks, 2 Pygmy and single Tengmalm's. We also found 5 different Hawk Owls, and discovered a breeding pair too (most in Norway, 1 in Finland), saw a single Long eared Owl and had 4 Short-eared Owls... having said all that, apparently it's not an amazing year for Owls in
Scandinavia.

Glad you had a great trip.

I am doing a similar trip starting on friday, a quick trip report or a PM with some info would be very useful. Self found Hawk Owl info would be really great.

Lastly how bad were the mozzies?

Ian

Dear Ian,

Doubt I will have time to get trip report done this week (or next!). We came across all our Hawk Owls as they were perched along side the road in trees or telephone lines - most along Tana road area of Varanger or further 'inland', and one in Finland at Saytsjarvi.

Mozzies were really bad at Ural and Great Grey sites - but otherwise not a problem, however, the weather was cold and damp when we were there.

Good number of Pomarine Skuas around Varangerfjord too - which is notable, as they only bred for the first time last year. We saw over 70 different birds, which was something we weren't expecting.... and found a pair of Shorelarks too (not sure of their recent breeding status on Varanger)

Last edited:
We weren't booked into any of the bear or wolverine special trips... another time maybe, as it's a country I will certainly visit again.... the birding and scenery were amazing...

Owls are breeding late this year. Atleast here in south east. Pygmy and Tengmalms have still juveniles too small to ring! Usually chics would have been out for weeks in this time of summer. Ural chics had more normal timing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back