• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions of Wings or Tropical Birding Tours? (2 Viewers)

Mysticete

United States
Hey folks,

I am currently thinking of trying to head to Ecuador next summer, and I am considering going on the Mindo Valley tour run by Wings, which is about 8 birding days hitting up the usual sites. This will be my first trip to South America, although a couple of years ago I did bird Panama, so have some neotropical experience. Originally was thinking of going on a tour with Tropical Birding, but the Wings tour seems to target a few birds that they don't normally go after (Oilbird, Long-wattled Umbrellabird) and seems slightly cheaper when taking in account the time.

I've never been with any company before. Has anyone here been on a tour with either company (bonus points if it was to Ecuador)? What was your experience like? This will be my first foreign birding tour, so any insights would be appreciated.

I've compiled bird tours for my local Audubon chapter that used Tropical Birding services in the past, overall, great company and expert guides but similar to Wings, they seem to be a bit too expensive for what the trips offer (example compare to similar Rockjumper tours to the region).

If you want, I can give you the contact info of a local guide I'm using in Ecuador later this year that offers great budget trips, even if you are traveling alone (I'm doing 6 days with him for around $1750 with everything included except the flight).

I've compiled bird tours for my local Audubon chapter that used Tropical Birding services in the past, overall, great company and expert guides but similar to Wings, they seem to be a bit too expensive for what the trips offer (example compare to similar Rockjumper tours to the region).

If you want, I can give you the contact info of a local guide I'm using in Ecuador later this year that offers great budget trips, even if you are traveling alone (I'm doing 6 days with him for around $1750 with everything included except the flight).
Sure feel free to send me the info

Are TB up and running again? I ask because I saw someone I know in a picture recently who was working for them pre covid but he was back in the uk and looking very sullen.

Are TB up and running again? I ask because I saw someone I know in a picture recently who was working for them pre covid but he was back in the uk and looking very sullen.
They've been running tours since at least the end of 2021. Pretty much everything is open at this point, except for maybe a few Asian countries. Ecuador is completely open, and you don't need a COVID test to enter or leave.

I did a TB trip to Ecuador including Galapagos; enjoyed it a lot, although was somewhat disappointed that certain species were missed. Advice- check what they are offering carefully, and enquire about any “missing” sites or species in advance. We got what we paid for, but we probably should have paid for a little more in advance.

Hey folks,

I am currently thinking of trying to head to Ecuador next summer, and I am considering going on the Mindo Valley tour run by Wings, which is about 8 birding days hitting up the usual sites. This will be my first trip to South America, although a couple of years ago I did bird Panama, so have some neotropical experience. Originally was thinking of going on a tour with Tropical Birding, but the Wings tour seems to target a few birds that they don't normally go after (Oilbird, Long-wattled Umbrellabird) and seems slightly cheaper when taking in account the time.

I've never been with any company before. Has anyone here been on a tour with either company (bonus points if it was to Ecuador)? What was your experience like? This will be my first foreign birding tour, so any insights would be appreciated.

Go with Wings. I just returned from Two week trip to Alaska with Tropical birding and it was the worst birding experience of my life.
Mind sharing some details on your experience? Want to know what to avoid in future tours. If you don't feel comfortable talking in the main post, you can send a DM.

For what its worth, while I ended up getting a private guide, we did come across a Tropical Birding group on a couple of occasions. Chatting with them they seemed to have enjoyed their trip.

Granted Ecuador is sort of there home base in many ways, as they operate a well known lodge down there, So at least in Ecuador they didn't seem to be too bad.

This is the first negative comment I've heard on TB.
That's why it caught my attention. I'm not rich enough to afford their tours on the regular, but I imagine that eventually I'll have to use a big name tour company for places that have little connection to be DIY or with a local guide (like Papua New Guinea) so I wanted to hear their feedback.

Didn't notice this thread until today – and Mysticete has already gone on his tour, but I will add my two cents since the thread still seems to be active.

I've been on two trips with Wings and one trip with Tropical Birding. Wings is US-based, and Tropical Birding was, I believe, originally based in South Africa, but now seems to be licensed in Ecuador.

Wings is a first rate operation. The guides on both the tours I had with them were first rate, and the accommodations were great. Their prices are competitive with other top-tier companies such as Field Guides and Rockjumper. (I saw a comment above that suggested their prices were a bit high. That is not my experience. You have to compare prices carefully – Wings usually includes domestic flights in the tour cost, Rockjumper doesn't and bills you separately for these. Also, Wings has a 4% discount for payments by check – though this applies to the main tour payment only.)

Tropical Birding is a solid company, but I would consider them second-tier. I had an Ecuador tour with them, and we had an Ecuadorian guide who was decent, but not top-notch. (As an example, we had to correct him when he identified a wood peewee as an Olive-sided Flycatcher). He no longer guides for them, however, and they do have some top-notch guides. But a problem with their website is that they no longer list what guide will be accompanying each tour departure. I emailed them once asking for this information, and never got a reply. Nevertheless, I might consider going with them again – at least if I could find out who the guide was before I booked.

Hey folks,

Hi, Igonz: I know I must have asked you for this guide's name, but like a dolt, I went and lost it. Would you mind sending it to me again? Many thanks. --LBC

Included in the price was transport and lodgings, I can't recall now if it included all meals or not (I think it did?)
How would you rate him as a guide, out of ten?
It covered all meals for me, as a guide, probably one of the best I've birded with.

Great ID skills, knows what to get you on each location, amazing ears and eyes (could hear the whistles of a Lanceolated Monklet while Rio Silanche even with when a Howler Monkey was howling and spotted the bird right away when it came in for playback but was quiet).

If somehow we miss key targets due to weather or time of day, he's willing to change the itinerary (and sleep time) to get them for you. Originally we had planned a slow morning around Milpe for my last day, but since the Bellavista area had more lifers, including a few night birds, he simply asked: "want to go back up the mountain at 4 and try for some birds we missed?".

I don't think I've ever met a guide who was excited and looking forward to getting you lifers quite like him, sometimes it felt like he was getting a new view on the birds as they became my lifers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back