• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7 x 50IF SP WP (Prostar). (1 Viewer)

Scorpius

I don't think that there are many people who are using the Nikon 7 x 50IF SP or Prostar for birding. This thing is heavy and,... big. But it's great and if you like the old Bausch & Lomb models you like this one too. Well, I do! |=)|

Most of the time when I buy a pair of binoculars there is a little story behind it. For the Nikon the same. I love the old B&L MK 28 body and of course the binoculars itself. Just like the SARD 7 x 50 MK21 (maybe the most beautiful binocular ever build). Only these binoculars are old. The Nikon has the same body as the B&L, but with modern optics. This made me to decide to buy a new Nikon 7 x 50IF HP Tropical. Not the SP or Prostar, too expensive. After ordering the Nikon I received it one week later. Very well packed and after removing the carton box, lots of tape there was a golden box with a name on it; Nikon 7 x 50IF HP Tropical. Quickly I opened the box and there was a beautiful leather case and inside a more beautiful Nikon 7 x 50. Of course I couldn't wait to take my first look through it. What I directly noticed was that the Nikon had green multi coatings. Strange. Possibly a modification. Only after my first look the image was not really what I expected. There was something weird about this Nikon. I read some tests or reviews about the Nikon 7 x 50 and the image of this Nikon did not match with the tests. The image was too clear, too flat and there was almost no lost of sharpness to the edge. Really strange.

After searching on internet it was clear to me that there was a wrong Nikon in the wrong box. This Nikon was not a Tropical. It was a SP, or Prostar. Cosmetic there is one different sign. The red line around the end of the lens tube. I don't think it's necessary to say that I was surprised in a very positive way. I still have the Nikon and it's the best Binocular I have. It won't leave me, not even for a Swarovski. And maybe, the Nikon is one of the best porro's you can buy at the moment.

The optics are great. Not perfect. But absolutely great and more then good enough to sell my Docter 8 x 56BA Nobilem. What I didn't like were the rubber eyecups. Too large and too hard. I had serious problems to see the complete field of view. Solutions; the eyecups of an old cheap Meade 10 x 50. These cups fit perfect, looking good and much more comfortable than the original cups.

Wanne have a Nikon 7 x 50IF SP? Order a Tropical and maybe,... you find a SP or Prostar in the box.|:D|

Attachments

• IMG_4994.jpg
    IMG_4994.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_4995.jpg
    IMG_4995.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 413
They are great for astronomy because you set them for infinity and view. They are not good for birding because they are heavy and they have no center focus. I use a Leica 8x50 BA and a 15x56 Swarovski SLC. Other binoculars with large objectives are Nikon Monarch, Zeiss, Vortex and from Minox

Mike

Well, I won't be ordering a Prostar for at least a couple of weeks until some other happy camper gets its box with a you know what inside!

I'm a deep nonreflective blue green with envy. I highly prize a similar but slightly inferior 7x50 Fujinon FMT-SX. I gave up on trying to watch birds seriously with it. If they are so far away that focusing doesn't drive me nuts, then they are too far to see very well with 7x! But optically speaking, I want no finer image.

Enjoy your Prostar!

Ron

Lucky you, Scorpius!

Oddly enough the serial number on yours is lower than the serial number on my Prostar, which was purchased around 2000. New Old Stock, maybe?

Henry

I have had the same thing happen recently with what I thought was a used Tropical. Instead I have a cheap first gen brown leather case. It's a Prostar, but the gold box indicates HP Tropical. The case is stamped on the bottom SP IF HP.

I have had the same thing happen recently with what I thought was a used Tropical. Instead I have a cheap first gen brown leather case. It's a Prostar, but the gold box indicates HP Tropical. The case is stamped on the bottom SP IF HP.
I recently came across a "Nikon" brown leather case in a local antique mall. Being a binocular (mostly astronomy) collector, I assumed they were a lower end model - but decided to look with $90 price. When I looked over the case, it was marked 7x50 SP IF WP. Opening the case, I easily (the supplied lens caps are horrific) spotted the "red line" on each barrel. I still am not sure what these are. Early Prostar? Japanese version (lettering is English) etc.?

I recently came across a "Nikon" brown leather case in a local antique mall. Being a binocular (mostly astronomy) collector, I assumed they were a lower end model - but decided to look with $90 price. When I looked over the case, it was marked 7x50 SP IF WP. Opening the case, I easily (the supplied lens caps are horrific) spotted the "red line" on each barrel. I still am not sure what these are. Early Prostar? Japanese version (lettering is English) etc.?
Yes, early 80s is my guess. I believe all the Tropicals/Prostars are identical on the prism plate lettering. I have come across a Tropical with a "S" inside a circle, all in white paint, on the left prism plate in addition to the regular markings. Does anyone out there know what that would indicate?

Last edited:
Tak, myślę, że początek lat 80. Wierzę, że wszystkie Tropicals/Prostars są identyczne na tabliczce pryzmatu. Natknąłem się na Tropical z literą „S” w kółku, cały w białej farbie, na lewym pryzmacie oprócz zwykłych oznaczeń. Czy ktoś z forumowiczów wie, o czym to może świadczyć?

Attachments

• distance_scale.jpg
    distance_scale.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes, early 80s is my guess. I believe all the Tropicals/Prostars are identical on the prism plate lettering. I have come across a Tropical with a "S" inside a circle, all in white paint, on the left prism plate in addition to the regular markings. Does anyone out there know what that would indicate?
It almost certainly means that particular unit has a reticle in the right eyepiece like the one illustrated in "mnich"'s post #8
Notice that the pair in this Allbinos review has the circled "S" on the prism plate. The reticle is mentioned toward the end of the review.

The presence of a piece of uncoated flat glass in the right side neatly explains the 7-8 % extra loss of light transmission in that side.

It almost certainly means that particular unit has a reticle in the right eyepiece like the one illustrated in "mnich"'s post #8
Notice that the pair in this Allbinos review has the circled "S" on the prism plate. The reticle is mentioned toward the end of the review.

The presence of a piece of uncoated flat glass in the right side neatly explains the 7-8 % extra loss of light transmission in that side.
The scale is on the left, between the eyepiece and the prism.
I have these binoculars, it is difficult to see the difference in transmission between the left and right side with the naked eye.

Last edited:
what kind of bino is this?

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_203033.jpg
    IMG_20230406_203033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230406_202729.jpg
    IMG_20230406_202729.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230406_204159.jpg
    IMG_20230406_204159.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230406_204243.jpg
    IMG_20230406_204243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back