• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zen-Ray ED2 (1 Viewer)

AhmedBow

Hi!
I've just ordered a pair of new Zen-Rays from the States, it's a pity that the bargain price will be hiked by having to pay 17.5% V.A.T.
I've spent weeks already trying to find the right binoculars!
I've had to return both a pair of Eschenbach roof prisms & a pair of Minox porros, because of alignment problems.
I'm hoping to be able to attach a photo of a Marsh Harrier taken this afternoon in Ely, Cambridgeshire.
Peace,
Tony

Attachments

• 23rd.Oct 021 Frank.jpg
    23rd.Oct 021 Frank.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 237
It is still cheap, even with VAT. ;) I am quite sure you will enjoy your new bin. I really like my 7x36. My only real issue with it is the stiff focus, but hopefully it will be less rigid the more i use it. Good thing the depth of field is so large, I seldom have to refocus.

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Kristoffer!
I've appreciated receiving so much supportive advice from friends on BF.
I'll let you know what I think of them soon!
Very Best Wishes

Hi Tony, Very nice picture of the Marsh Harrier. They look like beautiful birds of prey. Sorry you had so much problem finding a good binocular.
Regards,Steve

Well, Steve, even the trouble is good!
What I mean is that it's been very educational, the last 6 weeks or so, finding out about optics, you know, roofs vs. porros, 'phase-correction', dielectric coating, etc, etc.
I've found BF incredibly useful, I've been guided by some cracking advice!
When I felt some eyestrain and headaches with the Eschenbach's & the Minox, I was glad that I was able to do some of my own tests. The Minox were the BD 8x44 Porros, which were a bargain except for the alignment problem! But even without this the 'enhanced 3D effect' was too much for me! It was a post by Henry Link which helped to enlighten me about the widely-spaced objectives & the narrow field of view leading to a poor overlap of left and right hand fields - I was getting double images at close range.
I found the FOV on the Minox shockingly narrow, mind you my previous bins were a vintage pair of Swift Audubons.
The FOV with the Zen-Rays looks very good. I'm looking forward to getting them.
The Marsh Harrier today just popped up!
I was out with my camera, (no binoculars), looking for a kingfisher about 2 kilometers from my home; I feel lucky to be close to a bit of wilderness.
Anyway, must fly, Best Wishes

Briggz, a lot cheaper for you in the States!
I'm not working for Zen-Ray, or anyone else at the moment!
But there's some good discount on their website.
And their customer care is impressive, they phoned me from the States to
answer all my questions. I'll post a report once I try them out.
Best Wishes

Hi!
I wanted to report back to all, but including Steve & FrankD & Kristoffer that I finally picked up my new Zen-Ray ED2 8x43's just today! The Customs process added $100 &
a delay of nearly a week, But...
I'm delighted with them! Took them out for a proper field test, looked at crows flying across an empty sky, a cormorant and a kingfisher, which was going too fast for me!
Another test was a pair of blue tits in a willow against the sky, almost silhouettes, with the sun not long to set, through the glass - good detail and colour:
in all these 'tests', zero chromatic aberration,
like noticing an absence of distortion,
lovely bright image and great to scan and enjoy the field of view!
(Well, my last glass was a Minox with 120 feet less, the tube!)
Just looked at the moon, some crisp craters!
So yes I'm pleased!
Good Wishes

Hi Tony, I am glad the ZR ED2 8x43 made a safe trip to U.K. I am sorry if you had to pay an extra $100. Sounds like it was worth it in the end. I wish you many years of use out of this binocular.:t:
Regards,Steve

Hi Tony, I am glad the ZR ED2 8x43 made a safe trip to U.K. I am sorry if you had to pay an extra $100. Sounds like it was worth it in the end. I wish you many years of use out of this binocular.:t:
Regards,Steve

Same here. I am happy to see that you finally found a bin that suits you.

Hi Guys!
Sorry, been away for a week and away from the computer.
To answer a few Q's;
The Minox I tried was the BD Porro and had a very narrow field of view,
so, by 'tube' I meant a very closed down view; I noticed it because the bins
I had gotten used to were a pair of Swift Audubons, hence a sense of claustrophobia
with the Minox.
To answer Tero's question; well, I can't! compare, that is;
I never did try out a pair of Hawke ED's.
But I was impressed by Charles at Zen-Ray firstly listening to BF members wishes
and criticisms, and then having the existing design modified.
I fancied the ED2's as these had a Dielectric coating too.
In practise or use?
Well, I am enjoying very much the clarity and brightness of the view through the
Zen-Rays, I have been pleased with how much is 'revealed' in low-light conditions.
But the weather has been pretty gloomy and rainy so I haven't done much
adventuring lately.
Best Wishes dear chums,
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back