• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Spurn bus service (71E) (1 Viewer)

Captain_of_Crunch

YVdpep_re64
Birding by public transport in Britain can be very frustrating at the best of times, but at least here is a rare bit of good news with East Yorkshire launching a Hull to Spurn bus service. At the moment it only appears to run on Saturday and Sunday, with four departures each way. Timings are not bad either, giving a potential six hours at Spurn if you get the first service and take the last one back. Leaflet from East Yorkshire buses (pdf) here:

https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/eyms/EY/71E-timetable-20240404-35971ccd.pdf

Map of stops here:

But who's going to use it? Hull birders will already have their systems set up to enable (a) much longer birding hours in the Spurn area and (b) movement around the really quite large area relevant to Spurn birding.

Do the trains from the rest of Yorkshire connect with the bus service (in either direction)? Clearly there is no prospect whatever of it working for more distant birders who will still be driving overnight to be there for dawn and go home late.

John

But who's going to use it? Hull birders will already have their systems set up to enable (a) much longer birding hours in the Spurn area and (b) movement around the really quite large area relevant to Spurn birding.

Do the trains from the rest of Yorkshire connect with the bus service (in either direction)? Clearly there is no prospect whatever of it working for more distant birders who will still be driving overnight to be there for dawn and go home late.

John

Perhaps Robin strokers without a driving license? 😮

in the 70's ,as a teenager, I regularly got train to Hull, then Conner & Graham bus to Kilnsea and stayed in obs
Yes, so it wasn't a single day thing. Now that would mean out first thing Saturday back sometime Sunday (bearing in mind not everyone can be on the last bus!) or there for a week.

Anyway, for the odd individual prepared to have a short day out and with no driving birder friends to share company and costs - ideal!

John

Yes, it is obviously not ideal that it is restricted to the weekends but at the very at least it means that an area that previously lacked any public transport options now has something. Considering the large number of bus routes that have been reduced or cut entirely in Britain, this is quite welcome.

I suspect there may not be a small number of birders who can't/won't drive and may not always want to rely on getting lifts from others.

Great news. Reminds me of the bus to Holy Island, which I've used. Am no longer in the UK but if I were there I'd wish for a bus service to a few other places too. Doesn't have to be super-frequent, so as to regulate tourist numbers. But enough to plan a weekend trip with it.

John
Some like me or anyone else might have there concessionary travel pass, I won’t asked what your age is. But I use the local bus service every day as well as further afield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back