• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nene washes (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
Had a good mornings birding up at rspb nene washes this morning. Excellent reserve (especially when it was quiet first thing!).

Nice walk along the embankment, went east first and was immediately rewarded by many meadow pippets at relatively close quarters showing very well in and around the embankment. Huge flocks of lapwing in the distance and a few other waders, sadly far too distant to I.d.

Parking up with the scope was very rewarding, picking off various ducks, mallard, shoveler, teal and wigeon in good numbers over one of the flooded areas eventually led the eye further back up one of the leets to a gathering of cormorant sunning themselves as they do and immediately behind them one of the birds i'd come to see - cranes! 18 of them, very distant near the next more northern embankment up from the one the car parks on but when a birds a meter and a bit tall still a very impressive site!

Turning around and heading back the mile or so to the car park and going west this time was also rewarding, quite a few heron, another 2 cranes, little egret, more of the same ducks before the raptor show started in earnest. Already ticked off kestrel which was then followed by red kite, Marsh harrier, peregrine and near the Barns by the car park barn owl and Little owl before we headed home.

All in all an excellent reserve and well worth a visit!

Will

Last edited:
Didn't you see the shorties in the trees and log pile near the car park
Sadly not, bit busy up there but by all accounts they were there. Bit of a ride up there from stotfold so unfortunately didn't have a huge ammount of time in that area and it was a bit of a scope fest around there to be honest! When the birds everyone's looking at start to get outnumbered 10 to 1 by birders I tend to move on, probably why my life list isn't half as long as it could be! Lovely reserve though, had almost a safari feel like looking over a wet serengeti!

I'll be birding the Nene Washes tomoz and Tue - any hints n tips appreciated: where to look, where to park, avoid, eat, bogs etc etc., much appreciated.
Staying in Whittlesey. Thanks in advance, Mike. 🙂👍🐦🌤

Haven't been up there for a while. Last time I was up there bogs we're at a minimum, bring a sarnie for food, parkings though is quite easy - just follow the signs. Have a look from the bank back towards the dilapidated barns and scrub for short eared owls and if you have one bring a scope along- lots of raptors are likely to be about as well as cranes but they may be very distant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back