• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names of famous naturalists (1 Viewer)

Jim LeNomenclatoriste

Je suis un mignon petit Traquet rubicole
France
Hi everybodyyyy

Can you give me any names of naturalists from past centuries (20th, 19th), French, English, American, German, European, etc..., who contributed and proposed their own system of classification of birds. These authors may, of course, have described new taxa in their work.

I can mention Linnaeus, Gray, Kaup, Lesson, Vieillot, Bonaparte, Brisson, Wetmore (I think), Gould (?), Boddaert (?), Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, Temminck...

But are there others that I forgot?

Thanks

Hi everybodyyyy

Can you give me any names of naturalists from past centuries (20th, 19th), French, English, American, German, European, etc..., who contributed and proposed their own system of classification of birds. These authors may, of course, have described new taxa in their work.

I can mention Linnaeus, Gray, Kaup, Lesson, Vieillot, Bonaparte, Brisson, Wetmore (I think), Gould (?), Boddaert (?), Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, Temminck...

But are there others that I forgot?

Thanks
Charles Sibley & Burt Monroe? J L Peters (or did he follow an existing authority's classification)?

Charles Sibley & Burt Monroe? J L Peters (or did he follow an existing authority's classification)?
Sibley and Monroe are obvious. Peters followed the classification of Wetmore (1930) it seems to me.

I am looking for older naturalists (early twentieth) more or less known. It's obvious there are very known authors from the 19th century but who escape me

Sibley and Monroe are obvious. Peters followed the classification of Wetmore (1930) it seems to me.

I am looking for older naturalists (early twentieth) more or less known. It's obvious there are very known authors from the 19th century but who escape me
Have a look at Appendices 1–30 (systems of classification) in A Concise History of Ornithology (Michael Walters 2003); most if not all of the relevant material is viewable using "Look inside" on Amazon (UK).

Here's some classifications mentioned by Walters but not listed by you:

Gloger
Merrem
Blainville
L’Herminier
Nitzsch
Wagler
Lacépède
Illiger
Tschudi
Cuvier
Boie
Hogg
Huxley
Sundevall
Lilljeborg
Reichenow
Fürbringer
Gadow
Merciiii !! 😃😃

Last edited:
Brisson & Buffon?
Yep, especially for Brisson 😊😊 But Buffon was not a big fan of the Linnaean system which he found too rigid, academic. Hence the fact that Buffon used only French names and rejected Latin binomials. I'm not sure he made a contribution to the classification of birds

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back