• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Thoughts on the Nikon E 10 x 35. (1 Viewer)

Yes excellent review, the fungus does not look too bad, I think it can be removed along with the tightening of the diopter. It is a nice portable 10X35 and packs a nice punch. I look forward to hearing about your results on the service.

Andy W.

Richard, Andy: thank you!

It's worth a service now, as it will only get worse in our damp climate. As the old saying goes, " a stitch in time says nine."

Will post some pictures of the instrument once I get it back.

Best wishes,

Neil.

Last edited:
Hi Niel. Proper thorough review as always!

I had a 10x35 e as well but sought out the criterion model that I think Roger Vine also referred to more than the standard "e" in his review. I've not tried a standard "e" only the criterion as I was told by the good members here that the lack of the later coatings the criterion benefited from made a big difference so maybe that's where the difference of option on them between you and he has stemmed from.

Thanks b-lilja & William. It sure is a nice glass.

William: The instrument I have also has the 'C' which I understand is short for 'Criterion' unless I'm mistaken?

I've enlarged and inverted a part of the first image appearing in the review and posted it here for interest. You can see the 'C' more clearly I think.

Cheers,

Neil.

.IMG_4373 (1).jpg

Ps In post # 4 of the link below, the serial numbers for the single coated( early E) and multicoated units(later E) are listed.

The serial number on mine is 611675: and I understand they ran from 600K to 615K between 1988 and 1998.

Regards,

Neil.

So it is.
Thanks b-lilja & William. It sure is a nice glass.

William: The instrument I have also has the 'C' which I understand is short for 'Criterion' unless I'm mistaken?

I've enlarged and inverted a part of the first image appearing in the review and posted it here for interest. You can see the 'C' more clearly I think.

Cheers,

Neil.

Richard, Andy: thank you!

It's worth a service now, as it will only get worse in our damp climate. As the old saying goes, " a stitch in time says nine."

Will post some pictures of the instrument once I get it back.

Best wishes,

Neil.
The Nikon 10x35 is a well-designed binocular. I have an early E, not criterion, and the EII. That one is special,
a very good 10X in any case.

The old saying is " a stich in time saves nine".
Jerry

Quick update :

The Nikon E 10 x 35 arrived home today. I'm delighted to say that all is well: the internal dust, haze and fungus has been removed, collimation is spot on and the eye pupils nicely round and centred. It took just 18 days for Mr Kay at OPTREP to complete the job and post it back to me. I think that's an impressive service.

I attach a few pics showing one barrel of the interior and a few more of the binocular, together with my Nikon E II 8 x 30, for comparison.
I have prepared another 'sarcophagus' for the 10 x 35; a simple airtight container with plenty of silica gel desiccant to maintain a bone dry environment to store it in the same way as I do the Nikon E II 8 x 30.

So, there it is!

A new lease of life for a gorgeous classic Porro; and what better way to spend a sunny autumnal afternoon in the countryside.

Mission accomplished.

Neil
IMG_4487.jpgIMG_4509.jpgIMG_4516 (1).jpgIMG_4514.jpgIMG_4500.jpgIMG_4502.jpg

Thank you William:,

Binoculars are life enhancing instruments, and these little Nikons bring great joy to my life.

I consider myself very fortunate to have stumbled on them. They just feel right and deliver the kinds of views that I particularly delight in. They're not for everyone, and that's OK, but they're right for me.

I intend to work them hard, to fill the pages of my journals with fond memoirs of boyish adventures in the study of the creation, to grow old with them, and one day to pass them on.

Kind regards,

Neil.

Thank you William:,

Binoculars are life enhancing instruments, and these little Nikons bring great joy to my life.

I consider myself very fortunate to have stumbled on them. They just feel right and deliver the kinds of views that I particularly delight in. They're not for everyone, and that's OK, but they're right for me.

I intend to work them hard, to fill the pages of my journals with fond memoirs of boyish adventures in the study of the creation, to grow old with them, and one day to pass them on.

Kind regards,

Neil.
Thanks for taking the time to share.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back