• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My tablet dilemma (1 Viewer)

Osmand is brilliant for walking. It autoroutes along footpaths and trails, which is really excellent.
I wouldn't use it for driving though. It has no live traffic, unless someone has devised something very clever to pull in live data.
It could literally cost you hours routing you straight into a tailback.
When I travel, I usually do not have data anyway, my phone is on airplane mode from I leave until I return home. So a system that works fully offline is what I want.
Niels

When I travel, I usually do not have data anyway, my phone is on airplane mode from I leave until I return home. So a system that works fully offline is what I want.
Niels
I use home WiFi to download osm data before leaving (in the same way download ebird lists---this takes infinitely longer even though it's a few Mb cf Gb!!!). I switch airplane mode off on arrival as (I think) it hobbles the GPS (certainly WiFi).

As well as capturing a GPS trace during ebirding I also keep a low resource GPS going in the background the whole day (assuming I remember to switch it on). That way I know exactly where we went and can geocode any photos of insects etc.

I use my phone to route and navigate if driving. It's where having 2 phones comes in handy. Routing is battery heavy so I use one for that and the other for ebird etc

Edit: everything I described above is "fully offline"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back