• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Four Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Hollingbury Camp 01/08

Today I got up really early, and I was up at Hollingbury Camp by 05:30, on the way I saw a few Blackirds, a Song Thrush, Herring Gulls and a few Magpies.
There were lots of Yellowhammers and Linnets all over the golf course, and I counted three Willow Warblers. I watch a flock of Long-tailed Tits pass by near the pond. I located at least five Green Woodpeckers of which I saw four and I saw nine European Jays. I managed to pick out a Lesser Whitethroat amongst a gathering on Greater Whitethroats. A small flock of about 10 Common Swifts passed over. I returned home at about 10:50.

Last edited:
Hello Jake, we went to Hollingbury once and haven't felt inclined to go again. It was last year in spring, a peculiar day when the fog was very low so we couldn't see anything, but also howling a bitterly cold gale and it had obviously been raining heavily because there was mud everywhere. It was truly horrible. (the weather wasn't like this where we left home further north in the Weald, so it seemed as though it was exclusively on that part of the Downs.)

We also went to another of your local patches, Brighton marina, to see the purple sandpipers. Unfortunately, we chose 25th December last year, not anticipating that access to the end of the marina would be closed, so we had a frustrating time mooching round near Safeway car park!

Anyway, please keep your reports coming of these places, because you just might entice us back again.

Falmer Pond 02/08

Falmer Pond is a tiny little body of water surrounded by a a few houses and a patch of wooded garden. There are a few pictures of it that I found on this website: http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/nmarchant/falmer.htm

Today I arrived at about 10:30 am, and saw lots of Coots and Moorhens on the water. Hundreds of Swifts and House Martins zipped around over the surface, I managed to pick out a few Barn Swallows and Sand Martins amongst them all. There was a few Song Thrushes in the wooded garden, there was also a few Greenfinches and a Willow Warbler here. However, two more unusual birds that I wouldn't really expect to see on the patch: a Grey Heron and a Common Sandpiper! I also think I may have seen a Hobby fly over, but the view was very brief and the bird was very high.

We also saw a Common Sandpiper at an inland patch of water over the weekend, Jake. I would imagine it's birds on return passage that are showing up now.

Good to have you back on BF - Jake!!!

Great time in chat yesterday...and I finally got in after so long!!!

Keep the local reports coming...I'm off to Osterley Park on Thursday....but I shall go down to the Thames tomorrow...inspired to find a different habitat by your enthusiasm!!

Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back