• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first for the UK- as it happened (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

Please be aware that although I do not have a picture of the fungus as it was found in October 2012 when I was without a camera, all of the below is true and when I contacted the registry in Norfolk they verified this behaviour was of the species.
Some may have heard that the Boletus regius is the rarest bolete mushroom in the UK. This was found in 2019 by someone in my family and it was seriously delicious, as they said. Well then I remembered I once found something even rarer- the first UK record of the leccinum percandidum

The leccinum percandidum is a fungus a picture of which is attached below. The one on the picture below is from Russia, where it is in the Red Data List. It looks like an albino orange birch bolete. I am aware of similar-looking species verified by the UK but what is absolutely indicative of the species is the fact that the attractive fungus bruises red when touched and bruises black when cut. Which is exactly what my mushroom of ancient times did. Bruised red, went black. Delicious as well. And I was not aware this was a first for the entire UK.

So there is my story. Found the first- ever leccinum percandidum for the UK

Attachments

• DSC05910 (1).jpg
    DSC05910 (1).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back