• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch M7 (1 Viewer)

Welcome! :)

While I’m not familiar with the latest versions of the Monarch and M7 line, I’m sure (from brief looks through an earlier version) that they’ll likely be just fine (the flaws I found in older models were more regarding my personal preferences and, I’ve read, have since had improvements made).

You have to note that this forum attracts a demanding (and opinionated!) bunch of posters - many with experience of a lot of binoculars, many at far higher price-points, and discuss finer gradations of difference than most will see (or care about!) - and I’m as guilty of that as any.

I really think the Monarchs you chose will give excellent views and service.

…Mike
Kimmik and mfunnell, thank you so much for your quick responses. I appreciate the comment about a "demanding" set of posters here, and provides some context. Also, the reported FOV of the M7 was a positive attribute, hence my interest, so thanks for pointing that out.

So, after I ordred the M7 8 x 42s, I discovered this forum. I read through quite a bit of it, and I am stunned by what appears to me (and maybe just my perception) to be a rather negative view of these bininoculars, or Monarchs generally. I found few positive comments, lots of concern about CA especially.

Since you've already ordered them I'd suggest you judge for yourself. I'm relatively new to semi-serious birding, but have found that choice of binoculars is even more personal than telescopes. Maybe because of ergonomics - you don't generally hold a telescope, and you certainly don't use both eyes.

I'm one of those who dismissed the M7 because I saw too much CA (others will no doubt have different perceptions), but I did like the perceived build quality and ergonomics.

It might reassure you to know that having spent a week or so and several visits to my local birding store looking for binoculars, I bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x32's, having dismissed the very same Zeiss Conquests in 8x42 and 10x42... the 8x32 just seemed to hit some kind of 'sweet spot'. I mention this because it's an example of what might appear an illogical personal preference (not influenced by brand or reviews), and an indication that you shouldn't be overly influenced by any negative comments about the Nikon's... we're all different and if you like them that's all that matters. Hope they work out for you.

Since you've already ordered them I'd suggest you judge for yourself. I'm relatively new to semi-serious birding, but have found that choice of binoculars is even more personal than telescopes. Maybe because of ergonomics - you don't generally hold a telescope, and you certainly don't use both eyes.

I'm one of those who dismissed the M7 because I saw too much CA (others will no doubt have different perceptions), but I did like the perceived build quality and ergonomics.

It might reassure you to know that having spent a week or so and several visits to my local birding store looking for binoculars, I bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x32's, having dismissed the very same Zeiss Conquests in 8x42 and 10x42... the 8x32 just seemed to hit some kind of 'sweet spot'. I mention this because it's an example of what might appear an illogical personal preference (not influenced by brand or reviews), and an indication that you shouldn't be overly influenced by any negative comments about the Nikon's... we're all different and if you like them that's all that matters. Hope they work out for you.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Ultimately, it will be my wife's response, and I suspect she will like them. I do appreciate the various responses, glad I found this place. It is helping me recognize the features that can affect overall performance and experience.

I have a pair of Aderblick 7 x 50 purchased 30 years ago that I have used primarily for looking at stars, but that also are quite good for terrestrial viewing. I have been happy with these, and they are kind of my point of reference so to speak. After purchasing these Nikons (due for delivery tomorrow, Tuesday), I have been looking more critically at the Aderblicks, e.g., CA (don't really notice much), edge sharpness (excellent), and sharpness plus brightness overall. These will be a good point of comparison.

Anyway, thank you all again. I will post impression of the M7s as soon as I get a chance.

It might reassure you to know that having spent a week or so and several visits to my local birding store looking for binoculars, I bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x32's, having dismissed the very same Zeiss Conquests in 8x42 and 10x42... the 8x32 just seemed to hit some kind of 'sweet spot'.
As an "aside" regarding the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32... the majority of users of this particular set of bins tend to be exceptionally impressed with this model, especially at the price point. Personally, as a user of several SF Victorys, and several Leica UVHD+ bins, I still remain an enthusiastic user of my Conquest HD 8x32s! They're awesome bins.

As an "aside" regarding the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32... the majority of users of this particular set of bins tend to be exceptionally impressed with this model, especially at the price point. Personally, as a user of several SF Victorys, and several Leica UVHD+ bins, I still remain an enthusiastic user of my Conquest HD 8x32s! They're awesome bins.
Well, the m7 8 x 42 arrived today, and my wife totally loves them. She was able to spot some deer on a distant slope which impressed me as my wife, well, she does not have the eyes of a 20 year-old, and speak to the image clarity of these. More data to follow, but interestingly, an immediate impression she had, she loves the way they feel, the ease of holding and using them. She's going out with a friend in a few days to do some birding with her new binoculars, and I guess that's what it's all about.

I've had these a few months but used my Monarch 5s on my recent travel. I've taken them out a few times. The strap on my Nikon Monarch 5s has been replaced, so I don't know the length originally. It is now about 40 inches on the 5s. I'm 6 foot tall and these M7s were hanging over my belt. I cut several inches off the thin part of the strap. Burned the cut end with a match to get it smooth and stop unraveling. Reassembled. They are now 42 inches long and what I am used to. IMG_3587.jpg

I am curious about the M7 in 10X42, I have the earlier Monarch 7 but curious about the increased FOV, and improved armor.
I have a pair of M7 8X42 un the way from Nikon and I'll let you know. If anyone has the same bin could you measure the width of the eye guard so I can order a rain guard from Opticron. Thanks.
Mike

Last edited:
I would like to know where in USA i can purchase the new M 7 Plus in 8x30 as it has better eye relief.
The plain M7 8x30 i get black out.
Any sites pointer appreciated.

I've had these a few months but used my Monarch 5s on my recent travel. I've taken them out a few times. The strap on my Nikon Monarch 5s has been replaced, so I don't know the length originally. It is now about 40 inches on the 5s. I'm 6 foot tall and these M7s were hanging over my belt. I cut several inches off the thin part of the strap. Burned the cut end with a match to get it smooth and stop unraveling. Reassembled. They are now 42 inches long and what I am used to. View attachment 1520192
I've had my 8x42 Monarch HG's for a couple years now and just shortened my strap 3-4 weeks ago . I think the strap was designed to accommodate basketball players .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back