• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mindo Visit in July (1 Viewer)

Wrenman44

United States
My wife and I are slated to go to the Mindo, Ecuador, area in mid-July for 8 days. We plan to rent a car (is an SUV recommended?) and base as much as possible from Mindo. I'm looking for your thoughts on a still-rough itinerary that has us going to the following for day-trips: Refugio Paz, Amagusa, Milpe, and Rio Silanche. We hope to spend a night or two at Bellavista Lodge for birding there, as well a day trip to Zuroloma and Yanacocha. Our thought is to not hire a dedicated guide, but to use some of the local guides while at the various lodges. As first-timers to Ecuador, is this reasonable/doable? Are there other places that we should prioritize higher than what I've listed?

When I visited Mindo (too long ago already) we hired a local guide for the day trip to Milpe and Rio Silanche. I would do the same again.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back