• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration resource? (2 Viewers)

Hainan on the fly

Hey all. I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a resource I can use to figure out the migratory patterns of birds. For example a website that provides a map with the locations of a specific species of bird during certain times of the year. Perhaps a little story can help clarify what I'm after.... Recently I've seen a couple Daurian Redstart that presumably just started arriving back in Shanghai. It got me wondering where they had gone. Looking at my Merlin Bird ID app gave me a picture that they are absent in Shanghai during the summer and looking at the following link gave me an idea where they had gone. http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/daurian-redstart-phoenicurus-auroreus It appears they are native non-breeders in Shanghai and migrate to breed. What I'm hoping to find is a little more streamlined way in which I can observe a bird and get a since or where it may be going and/or coming from.

Thanks,

Brian

You can do this with Ebird. If you go to a species map you can select individual months of the year i.e. you can select a map for October, one for January and one for July. Or for any monthly range you're interested in.

Hey all. I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a resource I can use to figure out the migratory patterns of birds. For example a website that provides a map with the locations of a specific species of bird during certain times of the year. Perhaps a little story can help clarify what I'm after.... Recently I've seen a couple Daurian Redstart that presumably just started arriving back in Shanghai. It got me wondering where they had gone. Looking at my Merlin Bird ID app gave me a picture that they are absent in Shanghai during the summer and looking at the following link gave me an idea where they had gone. http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/daurian-redstart-phoenicurus-auroreus It appears they are native non-breeders in Shanghai and migrate to breed. What I'm hoping to find is a little more streamlined way in which I can observe a bird and get a since or where it may be going and/or coming from.

Thanks,

Brian
Daurian Redstarts are short-haul migrants who move from Russia and northern China to southern China. The departure from Russia begins in September, the return from Hong Kong is from November. Redstarts arrive in Myanmar in November and return in late March-early April.

You can do this with Ebird. If you go to a species map you can select individual months of the year i.e. you can select a map for October, one for January and one for July. Or for any monthly range you're interested in.
Excellent! Thank you. I didn't realize the ebird range maps had that functionality.

Cheers,

Brian

Daurian Redstarts are short-haul migrants who move from Russia and northern China to southern China. The departure from Russia begins in September, the return from Hong Kong is from November. Redstarts arrive in Myanmar in November and return in late March-early April.
Thanks! That is very informative! You happen to have any favorite resources that you use in finding this type of migration information?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back