• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar S2 30-60W first impressions (1 Viewer)

Perhaps the problem could be solved by a rubber ring on the shell. It would be more comfortable for the eye socket and the pupil distance would increase by 1-2mm. It is easy to do.
Yes, of course that would be an option. I just didn't want to do it, partly for the aesthetics, and mainly because we already like the 20-70 so much and it's so straightforward to use that we were very glad to return to it.

With 60x eye placement is very critical and blackouts are hard to avoid, so the 60x has limited value especially with targets like flying birds.
That's unfortunate. Are you sure you have the eyecup height exactly right for you? Beyond that, I hope someone with more experience may have a helpful suggestion regarding this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the second eyepiece today, which is 30-60WA. The first few observations after which I can say that I have no problems with the appearance of blackouts. The eyecup is at a good distance for my eye.

The S2 focuses counterclockwise to infinity, but when I grasp it from underneath which is more ergonomic, that doesn't confuse me, it's still moving to the right. (All Meoptas are CCW but I've never had one of their binos.)
Really? The Meostar binos and the old Meopro series focus clockwise to infinity.

I've been eyeballing the S2 from time to time, but decided on the Svbony 406P ED as a second scope rather than the S2 as my main. As it turns out, I might be giving the Svbony to my son instead. I'm starting a new job and ends will meet twice :D So I could afford to let my ED82A stay at my workplace and substitute it for an S2, or, possibly even more attractive, a Monarch 82 ED (unless I just get another Svbony of course)
It appears to me the Monarch might be the slightly better scope compared to the S2 if both are cherries, but that the difference is minuscule and down to personal priorities. For example, I clearly want to avoid Chinese products, which should tip the scale to Meopta's advantage. CCW focus, not so much.
(the Svbony scope is very good but I had a horrific experience with a binocular from them)

//L

Last edited:
After a few trips to the field, I can say that using the 30-60xW eyepiece compared to 20-70x is a bit more difficult. I don't see blackouts but you really have to look more axially. The zoom ring rotates with more resistance than in the 20-70x eyepiece. For now, it's hard for me to write something more because I have a very cloudy sky lately. Such a Central European late autumn :) But a week ago I was able to observe the Great Northern Loon (Gavia immer) on a large lake.

It took me a little time to appreciate my difficulty viewing with the 30-60; I hope your experience doesn't grow any worse.

There seems to be some variation in zoom ring resistance. Our first 20-70 was rather stiff; the 30-60 had some weirdness making it very hard to turn at first on each occasion, and easier thereafter; the replacement 20-70 we have now is very pleasant, best of the three. I would recommend that anyone having a problem try a different sample.

This week's occultation of Mars was lovely in the S2, apart from the viewing angle.

Really? The Meostar binos and the old Meopro series focus clockwise to infinity.

I've been eyeballing the S2 from time to time, but decided on the Svbony 406P ED as a second scope rather than the S2 as my main. As it turns out, I might be giving the Svbony to my son instead. I'm starting a new job and ends will meet twice :D So I could afford to let my ED82A stay at my workplace and substitute it for an S2, or, possibly even more attractive, a Monarch 82 ED (unless I just get another Svbony of course)
It appears to me the Monarch might be the slightly better scope compared to the S2 if both are cherries, but that the difference is minuscule and down to personal priorities. For example, I clearly want to avoid Chinese products, which should tip the scale to Meopta's advantage. CCW focus, not so much.
(the Svbony scope is very good but I had a horrific experience with a binocular from them)

//L
The only thing I can add to this having used three copies of Monarch ED and three copies of Meopta S2 is that the Meopta cuts through heat waves/shimmer better than anything I have ever used.

Both great scopes, all great copies, but this was the most apparent and scale tipping attribute for me.

How or why? I don’t know, but it is very real in case you cared.

The only thing I can add to this having used three copies of Monarch ED and three copies of Meopta S2 is that the Meopta cuts through heat waves/shimmer better than anything I have ever used.

Both great scopes, all great copies, but this was the most apparent and scale tipping attribute for me.

How or why? I don’t know, but it is very real in case you cared.
Interesting! Would you say that there's a huge difference? Is the Monarch worse than the usual high-end suspects in this regard?

//L

Interesting! Would you say that there's a huge difference? Is the Monarch worse than the usual high-end suspects in this regard?

//L
There is a big difference when looking at distant details through heat shimmer. I’ll put it this way, behind my house is a large agricultural field. It spans roughly 1km/a little over half a mile. I never knew there were bird feeders on the other side of the field until looking through the MeoStar.

The Monarch in comparison to other high end scopes that I have had/used (EDG, ATX, ATS, Victory FL, Televid…you get the idea) is a great scope. It’s up there with the best and does everything well. The differences in the others is they might do some things slightly better (FOV, edge distortion, CA, etc.). As for the heat waves, all of the ones I mentioned, including the Monarch, except for the MeoStar, were the same.

I have not looked through the latest generation of Televid, Harpia, or Prominar just FYI.

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanation. (y) We will see later, but the S2 has become so pricey that I'm reluctant to have it and the good old Fieldscope.
I'm contemplating the possibilities. Another Svbony might fit the bill as the first sample is great for what I expect it to be, but you never know how it performs until you lay your hands on it. I'll manage things with the ED82A and ED50A until I know if there's a better route.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back