• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven C2 7x28. Pretty sweet compacts. (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
These came this morning, and to say that I am delighted, would be an understatement. They are Maven C2 7x28's.

Optically, they are a total surprise. Perfect colors, brighter that I thought they would be, and quite sharp images with nice contrast. Absolutely no color fringing that I can see, and the focus stays true until the last maybe 10% of the viewing circle. Impressive. Especially for the price. Super clean inside. Not a single spot of dust under a bright light.

I wanted a compact binocular for hiking and walkabouts. I was going to get the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x28. In fact, I did order them, but Amazon "lost" the package, so after waiting an extra day, I canceled them. But while I was waiting for them to find my package, I decided to spend a little bit more money on what the reviews I found said would be a superior instrument. They were not kidding. I'm sure the Diamondback HD would have been ok, but I bet they are nowhere as good as these are. Really nice optics. They are mechanically solid, but nice and light but not featherweight. The focus wheel is super smooth, with the perfect amount of resistance, from stop to stop. I like that with the eye cups all the way out, I can bury my eye sockets onto them, and block out all outside light. Very easy to hold them still.

Kind of a bummer they chose to not include front caps and a case. But I bought the Maven case for $20. I will probably get some 34mm rubber objective covers. No tripod adapter. But seriously.....$225 for these seems like I stole them. Says "Made in the Phillippines" on the underside of the bridge. I also understand that the warranty is first class, no questions asked kind of a thing. I like that a lot.

Thanks for messing up, Amazon.

k9DZctl.jpegeFT279E.jpeg

While having my morning coffee on the back deck, I used them to observe two Hummingbirds scrapping over the feeder that hangs from the corner of the roof. Excellent color accuracy. I detect no change from what I see with my eyes. And the view was very sharp and contrasty. I had a nice backlight from the morning sun. I also spotted a Stellar's Jay about 30 yards away in my neighbor's tree. I could see his face real well, and his eyes showed good detail. A couple squirrels were foraging in the grass that I also spent some time following. Their fur coats looked very 3d. I could see the individual hairs very well. They were probably no more than 50 feet away.

Of course I have many larger binoculars that show more detail, are brighter, etc. But they are also a lot larger, and not pocketable like these Mavens are.
As the saying goes, these Mavens box above their weight. At least I think so. And for the price, I'm doubting I could find anything with such satisfying views coupled with this kind of portability.

Do these binoculars focus clockwise or anticlockwise to infinity? I decided to part company with my Vortex Diamondback 8x28's because the anticlockwise focus to infinity irritated me, but they were a very decent little pair of binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back