• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marshside info (1 Viewer)

If you mean the old platform along the coast road on the seaward side? It was demolished at least a year ago. I think it had started to rot so was unsafe. My New Years wish would be for a new hide where the old sand plant was, somwhere to shelter from the wind.

If you mean the old platform along the coast road on the seaward side? It was demolished at least a year ago. I think it had started to rot so was unsafe. My New Years wish would be for a new hide where the old sand plant was, somwhere to shelter from the wind.

Now there's a great idea :t: if only eh.

mystery solved

actually a car crashed into it (reminds me of the tale of the solitary tree in Timbuktu, was it, that was demolished by a french lorry-driver)

remains (unsafe) removed by volunteers, of whom I was one, about two years ago as I recall

don't hold your breath for a replacement!

actually a car crashed into it (reminds me of the tale of the solitary tree in Timbuktu, was it, that was demolished by a french lorry-driver)

remains (unsafe) removed by volunteers, of whom I was one, about two years ago as I recall

I wonder if thats been done intentionally , theres nothing else only the odd tree along that stretch of road .

Judging by the length of time it's taking to demolish and clear the old sand plant I for one won't be holding my breath!
P.S. I know this isn't the RSPBs fault or problem!

Last edited:
I reckon all the RSPB's money for round here is being poured into Hesketh Out Marsh at the moment.

Why not charge to use the sandplant car park and use the income to build a new hide or platform? Often this car park is full of dog walkers cars and camper vans, probably people who are too tight fisted to go to the official car parks further along the coast road where you have to pay.

Why not charge to use the sandplant car park and use the income to build a new hide or platform? Often this car park is full of dog walkers cars and camper vans, probably people who are too tight fisted to go to the official car parks further along the coast road where you have to pay.

good idea .
let the motorist pay and subsidize the car free so they can get the platform and hide for free .
personally paying for the use of the plant car park is fine by me , just so long as it is made into a proper tarmac car park first and not a pot holed and waterlogged , uneven dirt track.
If the birding fraternity such as myself and others want a hide and platform then shouldn't the burden of paying for it be on us .

good idea .
let the motorist pay and subsidize the car free so they can get the platform and hide for free .
personally paying for the use of the plant car park is fine by me , just so long as it is made into a proper tarmac car park first and not a pot holed and waterlogged , uneven dirt track.
If the birding fraternity such as myself and others want a hide and platform then shouldn't the burden of paying for it be on us .

Does the RSPB own the car park, if so good idea.

good idea .

Dont we do that already?? being members of RSPB, WHO SHOULD FUND IT!! They are very good at telling us they have a million members! So cut back on a bit of land buying, and this becomes loose change.

Dont we do that already?? being members of RSPB, WHO SHOULD FUND IT!! They are very good at telling us they have a million members! So cut back on a bit of land buying, and this becomes loose change.

perhaps Marshside isn't important enough for the RSPB to fund a new hide etc .

as it was stated earlier in the thread the platform has been gone over 2 years , they arn't rushing to erect a new one by the look of it are they .

Maybe the RSPB are waiting untill the demolition and restoration of the sandplant area is completed before doing anything? As far as I know the sand winning company who lease the land from the council are responsible for restoring the area to pre sandplant condition, there's probably no point in spending money on the exsisting car park or building a new platform etc. untill they find out exactly what the council are going to do with the land.

perhaps Marshside isn't important enough for the RSPB to fund a new hide etc .

as it was stated earlier in the thread the platform has been gone over 2 years , they arn't rushing to erect a new one by the look of it are they .

So nothing new then eh!! This is Oooop North remember, not high profile enough

So nothing new then eh!! This is Oooop North remember, not high profile enough

couldn't agree more with you paul.

did a bit of digging for more info on the platform and have been informed that the RSPB is not and never has had any responsibility for the platform .

apparently it was owned and maintained by NATURAL ENGLAND .

Sounds to me then if you want a new platform you're going to have to make and fund it yourselves, without the RSPB's help.

did a bit of digging for more info on the platform and have been informed that the RSPB is not and never has had any responsibility for the platform .

apparently it was owned and maintained by NATURAL ENGLAND .

been in contact with the people at NATURAL ENGLAND .

i have been informed that they have plans to replace the platform .
they are working with a group called WOODWORKS , which is an occupational health support group which undertakes projects to help people to get back in to the swing of work .

they have informed me they expect the platform to be in place for the next winter season . :t:

been in contact with the people at NATURAL ENGLAND .

i have been informed that they have plans to replace the platform .
they are working with a group called WOODWORKS , which is an occupational health support group which undertakes projects to help people to get back in to the swing of work .

they have informed me they expect the platform to be in place for the next winter season . :t:

Well thats some good news. So good look to them, if it helps this group as well so much the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back