• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Los Angeles Hawk? (1 Viewer)

My gut reaction was Red-tailed Hawk as well, but I don't think I can be completely sure it isn't Swainson's Hawk. Looks a little thicker than Swainson's.

The default out west is Red-tailed; the apparent long wings are maybe interesting, though, which could suggest dark-morph Swainson's.

And a Loggerhead Shrike.

My first impression of structure suggested Red-tailed to me, as well, but I'm not so sure after a closer look. Photo P2500779 shows an angle where the primary projection looks pretty long, and there is distinct horizontal chest barring below a dark throat. I think this pattern is very rare in Red-tailed and quite common in dark/intermediate Swainson's. Not all the photos are conclusive, though, so I don't feel confident ruling out Red-tailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back