• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for advice on 6X (1 Viewer)

I've been reading here for a couple of years but this is my first post. I need some advice.

As I've grown older, it has become difficult to hold my 8X42 binocular steady. I have looked through a 6.5x32 Vortex and think a lower power will help me.

There are no local dealers to let me try out binoculars so I will have to mail order.

I was almost ready to order a Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32 but I read some extremely negative reviews here, especially about the quality of the image. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be just as far ahead to buy a Kowa 6x30 YF II for much less money. The reviews of the YF II are invariably positive.

It has occurred to me that this may be because of expectations involving the price differential. However, I'm hoping that someone on here has compared the two and can comment.

The BDII is at my maximum price level.

Thanks for any advice that you can provide. I should say that I enjoy the forum and have learned a great deal from reading posts here over the last few years.

Greetings!
You are correct...a 6X32 will deliver a more stable view. I have an old 6X32 Eagle Optics roof that acts like an image-stabilized bin when compared to the 7X, 8X and 10X bins I own.
There aren't many choices and I can't comment on the quality of current models.
Here's a link to the Opticron 6.5XX32 discussion...

PS
Make sure you read the Kowa review in post #2

Last edited:
I've been reading here for a couple of years but this is my first post. I need some advice.

As I've grown older, it has become difficult to hold my 8X42 binocular steady. I have looked through a 6.5x32 Vortex and think a lower power will help me.

There are no local dealers to let me try out binoculars so I will have to mail order.

I was almost ready to order a Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32 but I read some extremely negative reviews here, especially about the quality of the image. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be just as far ahead to buy a Kowa 6x30 YF II for much less money. The reviews of the YF II are invariably positive.

It has occurred to me that this may be because of expectations involving the price differential. However, I'm hoping that someone on here has compared the two and can comment.

The BDII is at my maximum price level.

Thanks for any advice that you can provide. I should say that I enjoy the forum and have learned a great deal from reading posts here over the last few years.

Curiouswind,

First, I agree with others here and with your brief experience with the Vortex 6.5x 32 that a 6/6.5x is noticeably steadier than a 7x, let alone an 8 or 10x. I have the Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32 (as you may have read it's really a 6x). I tested a Kowa 8x30 YF for about a week which is a very good bin for the price but have never seen the 6x version. I regularly use the Opticron 6.5x32 Adventurer T WP which you should be able to find for the same price as the Kowa YF.

If you can order from a site that has a good return policy in case it doesn't suit you, I would recommend you try the Kowa 6.5 first. Yes there are negative reviews from some top heavyweights here on the forum. While I admit the various compromises inherent in the Kowa 6.5, for me the combination of its synergistic strengths obliterate any "faults" (at least in my example which may be a "cherry"). Second I would try the Opticron because it has a much wider FOV than the YF which can be very useful. Further with a 6 or 6.5, the significantly narrower FOV of the YF as compared to both the BD and the Opticron may result in a really narrow AFOV which bothers me but that's a matter of my personal preference, not substantive.

The good news is these are all very good bins for the price so it's just a matter of finding the one that works best for you. That said, I would advise you take some time with each model because IME the increased DOF of a 6/6.5x versus an 8X can sometimes mislead me to think I have the target in best focus but further fine adjustment makes it even sharper.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Thank you for your responses. I saw the positive review cited above and several others that were enthusiastic about the BD II.

However, I also saw reviews that remarked on extreme “moustache” distortion, rolling ball effect, glare, astigmatism, “star burst” lines because of visible roof edges, considerable chromatic aberration, misaligned optics, defective prisms, and so on. The reviews of the little Kowa porro are much more favourable.

One reviewer on this forum called the BD II binocular “pretty awful” and not worth a second look.

I am in Canada and I cannot find a retailer for Opticron porros. I am hesitant to order from the US or overseas because of the cost of returning the instrument.

I am unable to find a direct comparison between the BD II and YF II. Perhaps the only way is to order one of each and be ready to send one back.

Thanks, Mike. I typed this response while you were posting and decided to leave it. I agree that I am going to have to simply try the binoculars for myself.

I found the kowa yf ii 6x30 to have an outstanding view for the price, or really even compared to anything that I’ve tried up to around the $400usd mark - i prefer the Monarch 7 8x42 over the kowa YF but my mother does not, and I do have to admit there is something special about the view of the kowa that I do prefer, perhaps the 3D effect of the porro, not sure. My main bin is a Swarovski el 8x32 and I do prefer it to these others (I would hope so!!), but did consider the small kowa for the car and/or travel in less safe areas or where I think I might want to donate them on my departure. I have not tried the other kowa that you’re considering and so I won’t venture assumptions about it in particular, you read the reviews so you know as much as I do about that. I can say that I found the view of the YF ii 6x30 to be wide with useable image all the way to the edge, super bright and plenty sharp. My only gripe is the slight sound of plastic wrap crinkling when I focused. I’ve tried 6 of them and they all have it, but vary a little in the degree that I noticed the (subtle) sound. All 6, by the way, appeared equally (very) good quality in build and view.

Edit: I thought I’d add that I’ve given this model as gifts to two older bird enthusiasts (not “birders”, they lack the experience to handle, or tolerate, some of the bins we glass snobs obsess over), one of whom is nearing centenarian status, and they both really enjoyed the ease of use in this bins. Between the brightness, easy eye placement, and ergonomics, it’s a winner.

Last edited:
Two possible alternatives in case you're unaware:

APM make a 6x30
Looks to be an easy traditional hold, but I remember reading though it's cheaper, it was compared as not quite as good optically as the Kowa.

And the 6x32 Opticron Traveller
Discontinued last year. I use mine a lot cos it's small enough to fit in any jacket pocket, but the haptics for me took some getting used to.

So kowa is probably the one to try first.

Last edited:
Have you considered the other option of getting an image stabilized binocular? That way, you wouldn't have to give up the detail that higher magnification gives you, and you would still have a rock steady image. A good medium priced IS binocular is the Canon 10x30 IS II. Also, if you want something more compact and lighter, the Canon 8x20 IS is very good also. IMO, 6x can be a little weak for birding at greater distances, although for close in birding they are fine. I usually don't like to go below 7x for the way I bird. Just another option.

My wife has both the Vortex 6.5x32 and the Kowa 6x30 interestingly enough. Both are very nice but the Vortex wins (just!) in terms of image quality. One of the nice things about these low powered binoculars is the very large DOF. If you can't get hold of a Vortex I would definitely recommend trying the Kowa! She likes it very much.

...I was almost ready to order a Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32 but I read some extremely negative reviews here, especially about the quality of the image. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be just as far ahead to buy a Kowa 6x30 YF II for much less money. The reviews of the YF II are invariably positive...
I have the Kowa BD11 6.5x32,really enjoy it, and highly recommend it as very good value.
Maybe it cannot compare to the alpha optics costing 8-9X more, but it is a very good binocular.
I have no experience with the YF but it also have very good reviews.
I agree with the above post to buy from a dealer with a good return policy incase you do not like it.

edj

I have both Kowa's. The 6.5 I use for astronomy for the wide fov. I like it and have had no trouble using it. the 6 YF is really nice. It will probably do what you want and I have used it both day and night. It punches above its weight. The focus can be a bit spongy, but it isn't an issue for me.

Oberwerk sells a smaller model that just got a favorable review on the forum.

Last edited:
I had the Oberwerk and gifted it to a child. It is very similar to the Kowa. The service from Oberwerk is excellent.

My wife has both the Vortex 6.5x32 and the Kowa 6x30 interestingly enough. Both are very nice but the Vortex wins (just!) in terms of image quality. One of the nice things about these low powered binoculars is the very large DOF. If you can't get hold of a Vortex I would definitely recommend trying the Kowa! She likes it very much.
The Vortex Raptor or Vortex Fury, 6.5x32?

Last edited:
The Vortex Raptor or Vortex Fury(Now discontinued), 6.5x32?
Neither the Raptor or the Fury, but the Viper HD. And, sorry my mistake, it's actually a 6x32 and it is also discontinued I believe. She did try the Raptor 6.5x32 but we were both not that impressed with it. It was OK but the Kowa 6x30 YF was just that much better.

Neither the Raptor or the Fury, but the Viper HD. And, sorry my mistake, it's actually a 6x32 and it is also discontinued I believe. She did try the Raptor 6.5x32 but we were both not that impressed with it. It was OK but the Kowa 6x30 YF was just that much better.
Thanks! The Viper HD 6x32 was IMO one of the best 6x around. It is too bad they discontinued it for the 6x lovers. Interesting that the Raptor 6.5x32 wasn't as good as the Kowa 6x30 YF. Good information.

Two possible alternatives in case you're unaware:

APM make a 6x30
Looks to be an easy traditional hold, but I remember reading though it's cheaper, it was compared as not quite as good optically as the Kowa.
The APM is actually pretty good. I did quite a few comparisons in the field against a Habicht 7x42, and while the Habicht is obviously somewhat better - it should be at almost four times the price! - the APM holds up pretty well.

Hermann

Hi there Curiouswind and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I have found a nice used Vortex Raptor 6.5x 32 with no marks on the lenses or body. The only negative, and it is really trivial, is a slight noise from turning the focus wheel. To my eyes, the image is as good as my old Pentax 8x42 and a new Vortex Diamondback 8x42 that I was able to compare it to. The price was right and I am very happy. The reduced magnification makes this binocular easier to use because of the perceived relative steadiness of the image.
Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Much useful advice indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back