• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Llandegfedd Reservoir (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
This is the counties largest body of water at 434 acre. It has numerous bays and shallows which accomodate wide range of birds. Through the winter months, large flocks of wigeon and teal gather along with pochard, tufted duck, mallard, gadwall and a few goldeneye.

This reservoir annually provides temporary stop off points for migrating osprey with birds being recorded during spring and autumn. Birds gennerally hang around for longer during autumn. Autumn is also a good time to see terns with common, little and black being recorded in recent years. It is also worth checking the large gull flocks that feed on and roost on the reservoir as yellow legged gull and also med gulls are quite regular. Recent rarities include a sabines gull which stayed for a few days in the summer and a red necked grebe which hung around last winter.

Aswell as the water, the site offers plenty of forestry around the reservoir which hold good numbers of tits including marsh tit. There is also a feeding station which offers good veiws of woodland species.
Birders must either have a G.O.S membership card or purchase a permit from the office.

luke said:
This is the counties largest body of water at 434 acre. It has numerous bays and shallows which accomodate wide range of birds. Through the winter months, large flocks of wigeon and teal gather along with pochard, tufted duck, mallard, gadwall and a few goldeneye.

This reservoir annually provides temporary stop off points for migrating osprey with birds being recorded during spring and autumn. Birds gennerally hang around for longer during autumn. Autumn is also a good time to see terns with common, little and black being recorded in recent years. It is also worth checking the large gull flocks that feed on and roost on the reservoir as yellow legged gull and also med gulls are quite regular. Recent rarities include a sabines gull which stayed for a few days in the summer and a red necked grebe which hung around last winter.

Aswell as the water, the site offers plenty of forestry around the reservoir which hold good numbers of tits including marsh tit. There is also a feeding station which offers good veiws of woodland species.
Birders must either have a G.O.S membership card or purchase a permit from the office.

Thanks Luke I do pass through the area, whats the best way for access?

jimmy2faces said:
Thanks Luke I do pass through the area, whats the best way for access?

i dont go birding there that often, and always get a bit confused. the dam wall is easy to get to as its signposted, but theres basically a road that runs around the reservoir that allows access to various parts. the warden at the office will be able to help in the form of a map or something perhaps?
EDIT:
heres a grid reference for the fishermans carpark which is where birders usually park
SO 333 006

HTH

Last edited:
luke said:
i dont go birding there that often, and always get a bit confused. the dam wall is easy to get to as its signposted

The other end tends to be the best for birding though, so probably worth finding your way there.

Check on a map, as I am a bit rusty with exact distances (don't live in the area anymore), but basically from Usk, go over the River Usk, then turn right, continue on that road towards Goytre for about 5 miles (?), before turning left onto a small road that winds up towards the reservoir. The road goes a couple of miles before getting to a crossroad in a small village - left or right will take you around the reservoir towards the dam (not giving you views on the way), but if you go straight across at the crossroads, it is a dead end road, taking you the few hundred metres to a gate where you can leave the car. Scan the reservoir from here, but there is an even better bay further left - you need to walk for this, it is not visable from the car park. There were hides there when I was in there, I suppose they might still be, but don't know.

PS I have barely stepped in Britain in ten years, so apologies if something has changed since.

i went to the reservoir from college the other day (i found out its only 5 mins away, and now i can drive, i'll be there a little more often). a number of people keep reporting a snow goose. given that it has been reported in the summer aswell as winter, i just dismissed it as a farm yard type thing (all white) but i have had a look and its actually a snow goose. i also had some pics sent to me and they show every feature of a typical snow goose. given that (i dont think anyway) are used for the table and its not ringed i thought it was a little confusing. i assumed it a feral bird that started life in captivity, but do you think its tickable as its free flying, self sustaining? i mean the barnicles at slimbridge are all feral and i have read on this forum that they are tickable.

Apologies to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone here knows if there is a path that goes around the perimeter of Llandegfedd Reservoir, or perhaps where the best place would be to stake out with telephoto lens and stool for a few hours...:)

I don't live far from there and would love to try out my new 500mm tele on some unsuspecting birds there... ;)

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

i havnt been to the reservoir for quite a while, but from what i hear the paths are getting quite overgrown. usually most of the wildfowl there is quite far away on the water but there are plenty of warblers and tit etc in the bushes. Also keep your GOS membership card handy just in case your asked for it. otherwise you might have to pay for a day permit.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back