• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little terns - crimdon (1 Viewer)

_pauls

Hi all - I'm living up in Northumberland now but remember little terns breeding at Coatham when I was a kid growing up in Cleveland.

I gather they haven't bred there for a few years due to disruption but I'd love to see them again having just visited the Farne Islands and watched Arctic, Sandwich and Common terns, and within spitting distance of the Roseate terns at Coquet Island.

I understand little terns still appear and breed on the beach at Crimdon - any suggestions as to when/where I'd have the best chance of seeing/photographing them? I guess its still a little early at the moment.

the little terns still breed at crimdon it used to be my local patch when i lived there. they have on and off years in regards to breeding sucess there is a few already arrived in the next 5 - 10 days i should think the numbers will increase and they'l start to pair up

the breeding site is downhill from the carpark near the wooden bridge to the south of the pony stables it is fenced off and protected by wildlife laws though unfortunatly suffers alot of vandalism and disturbance.

too watch them id suggest taking the footpath and sitting on the bench thats on the bank behind the breeding site to get a little closer for photography id find a spot on the beach between the fence and the shoreline as they fly over you taking fish

during the day the terns seem too move a little further north towards blackhall rocks where its a little quieter. if you go anytime soon theres a chance of a few sandwich and arctic terns that dont stay around too long the small hut behind the pony stables is the wardens someone is usually there keeping an eye on things

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back