• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser whitethroat? Spreewald, Germany (1 Viewer)

Henry_Flower

Germany
Can anyone confirm whether the bird in the attached recording (at e.g. 2 seconds and 11 seconds in) is a lesser whitethroat? I was sure when I heard it, and birdnet agreed, but it's very early for this area (near Vetschau in the Spreewald region of Germany; the bird was in a bush near a lake, not visible).

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2024-04-01 11_48.wav
    3.1 MB
The bursts at 25 s and 35 s are much clearer. It's a song which manages to be both undistinguished and distinctive. If you're close enough you will hear the short warble which precedes the churring.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm whether the bird in the attached recording (at e.g. 2 seconds and 11 seconds in) is a lesser whitethroat? I was sure when I heard it, and birdnet agreed, but it's very early for this area (near Vetschau in the Spreewald region of Germany; the bird was in a bush near a lake, not visible).

Thanks!
Song is from a Lesser Whitethroat although it sounds like the bird needs more practice (early season). Typical for Lesser Whitethroat, it's singing hidden in a bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back