• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Learning (1 Viewer)

At 86 I am accelerating each day, learning about all manner of things from the bizarre to the mundane. This has been brought about by the amazing facilities online from Wikipedia to google and beyond. There is no excuse for ignorance any more, and curiosity is catching! Others may agree that the more is discovered or unearthed, the more aware one becomes of the depths of ignorance or lack of knowledge and this applies strongly to the bird world. There are so many unanswered questions. What a wonderful world.

There is a saying that a person that reads everything on the Internet will be less well.informed than someone who has read nothing at all. Can't remember who said it !!

Your thinking is just what got you to your stage of life where you are now. :) Keep it going Alan!

Thanks folks - much appreciated. This site is in my experience one of the most uplifting places on the web. The variety and depth of items is a joy.

Hi Alan - just happened upon your thread and agree totally with your sentiments. I find this site a joy, and the members so welcoming. I too live in Truro (UK, that is !!) and am thirsting for knowledge every day at 76 years old!!

This site is in my experience one of the most uplifting places on the web.
It is indeed. I'm 62; I grew up in the countryside of the Peak District and absorbed loads of nature lore through my father, but only really got seriously into birding a few years ago, having spent my whole working life in Berlin. This forum is not only a mine of information, but is also the nicest and best moderated forum I've ever come across (my other major active interests being climbing, chess and fly fishing).
Thanks for your post, and stay curious! :)

Hi Alan, its so lovely to hear someone or anyone who still hungers for knowledge. It’s encouraging for me to seek the new & many worlds of others species, & to connect. It keeps me going & refreshed, challenged me every day, how dare I complain of boredom. Thank you Alan for refreshing gratitude for me. I’m 65 & I feel like a college student & I’m loving it. Keep it going Alan.
Well done
Bcat

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back